Monday, April 1, 2013

book cover Hardcover: 403 pages 
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: July 31, 2012
ISBN: 9780373210493

Source of my copy: Harlequin Teen Panel
Series: Pushing the Limits #1
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
 

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.


Leslie's Review:
I really enjoyed Pushing the Limits; it was a good balance between a light and a heavy read. The plot was very interesting, well-paced and well-written. There were so many highs and lows all the way to the ending. By then I was tearing up, and that's saying a lot because I'm one of those "robot" readers--hardly any books had ever moved me to tears.

The characters were great, especially Echo and Noah. Both were so damaged and tortured yet brave, stubborn, and strong. Their demons and afflictions made them very interesting and three-dimensional. Although I couldn't relate to either of them as much as I wish I could have, I rooted for Echo and Noah individually and as a couple.

I recommend Pushing the Limits to anyone wanting a heavy contemporary read in which the characters were driven by personal conflicts and a heated relationship. Even though I really enjoyed this book, I'm not sure if I'll be reading the companion books because they feature Noah's friends Beth and Isaiah, and I wasn't really fond of both characters in Pushing the Limits.... but it is likely that curiosity will get the better of me. I am definitely looking forward to reading more by Katie McGarry.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very excited for Beth's companion book-I didn't love her in this book but I loved the snippet I read of it. I'm just so excited about the interest in contemporary this book has sparked!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.