Friday, March 22, 2013

Dear friends,
I am on a contemporary new adult kick lately and when I got an email from one of the book publicist I frequently work with that Forever is releasing a bunch of new adult books that were previously self-published, I got really excited.

Confession: I'm a self-published snob. I know, I know--I'm not proud of it but it is what it is. I've been disappointed by the quality of self-pubbed books. But I figured if they're picked up by a big traditional publisher, they'll may get "cleaned up" a bit and I'm less likely to be disappointed.

As for new adult books, well, they put me in mind of these teen contemps that my friends and I devoured one after the other back in high school. Anyone read or remember these?
Who Do You Love? by Janet Quin-Harkin was a favorite of mine.
So, first the Forever/Forever Yours new adult books...

I plan to feature each of these books on their own from June-August (to coincide with their trade paperback release) and will be giving away a copy of each.

Tabitha Allen grew up in the thick of Chaos—the Chaos Motorcycle Club, that is. Her father is Chaos' leader, and the club has always had her back. But one rider was different from the start. When Tabby indicates she wants more—much more—Shy feels like the luckiest man alive. But even lucky men can crash and burn…
Okay, I have my doubts about a guy named Shy but I'm loving the motorcycles bit. I'll be giving away a copy of this book in June.







After a wild night Camryn Bennett boards a Greyhound bus ready to find herself. Instead, she finds Andrew Parrish. Soon he becomes the center of her daring new life, pulling love and lust and emotion out of her in ways she never imagined possible.
I'm hearing a lot of great reviews about this one. I'll be giving away a copy of this book in July.







Luck was on Kayden’s side when Callie coincidentally is in the right place at the right time and saves him. Kayden does everything he can to try to get to know her, but the more he tries to be part of her life, the more he realizes Callie might need to be saved.
I'm currently reading Jessica Sorensen's other novel The Secret of Ella and Micha and I am planning to read this one too.  I'll be giving away a copy of this book in August.






I'll be reading these three in the summer. So, mark your calendars and get excited! Come back here to win a paperback copy of Own the Wind in June, The Edge of Never in July and The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden in August.

As for my recent new adult splurges, I recently bought and plan to read the following during spring break (which starts officially in one day! whoo-hoo!!)...



Rescued by a stranger.
Haunted by a secret
Sometimes, love isn’t easy…
There were so many raves about Easy that I just had to read it for myself.









The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.
I keep seeing this book described as "addicting" and I'm a sucker for the good girl/bad boy pairing so I bought it.






Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well—until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core.

Is On Dublin Street marketed as a new adult, or is it an erotic romance? Whatever it is, there's innumerable raving reviews about it--many from bloggers and reviewers on Goodreads whose opinions I trust.





What new adult novels have you read? Are you a self-pub snob like myself? Tell me about your spring break plans!

Happy reading,
Michelle

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love NA! Of those mentioned, I think Easy is the best! I was not a big fan of The Edge of Never or Beautiful Disaster but could just be me. I've heard On Dublin Street is awesome but I haven't read it yet!

    My favorite contemporary NA are Slammed (and its sequel Point of Retreat) and Hopeless by Colleen Hoover, Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park, Charade by Nyra Dawn, My Favorite Mistake by Chelsea Cameron, Lengths by Steph Campbell and Liz Reinhardt, and Tidal by Emily Snow

    Eva @ All Books Considered

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for New Adult!

    We read a few pages of BEAUTIFUL DISASTER, and while it was compulsively readable, it wasn't our thing so we put it down. We've heard good things about EASY, though, and might check that one out.

    Our very own Kristan was writing in the New Adult space before it even had that name. Her web serial TWENTY-SOMEWHERE even won a contest with St. Martin's Press! It's available as an ebook now. :)

    Also, her boyfriend wrote a book about their college experience, called NEW HOUSE 5, which is a really cool look at a freshman floor. We're planning to blog about it sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge self-pub snob unfortunatley ): I mean I've read a lot of them, but none of them have ever been "good enough" for me. It's either the writing or the plotting that feels off. I have read Callie and Kayden (the self-pubbed version, which has a small typo in it, the author spells AWOL as A-WALL) and while I find some of it's thematic material problematic overall it's a good story and I'll be on the lookout for your thoughts on the paperback version.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.