Michelle's Review: Legacy of the Clockwork Key by Kristin Bailey

book coverE-ARC: 402 pages 
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: 3/5/2013
ISBN: 9781442440265
 
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Secret Order #1
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
 

A teen girl unravels the mysteries of a secret society and their most dangerous invention in this adventure-swept romance set in Victorian London.
When a fire consumes Meg’s home, killing her parents and destroying both her fortune and her future, all she has left is the tarnished pocket watch she rescued from the ashes. But this is no ordinary timepiece. The clock turns out to be a mechanical key—a key that only Meg can use—that unlocks a series of deadly secrets and intricate clues that Meg is compelled to follow.
Meg has uncovered evidence of an elite secret society and a dangerous invention that some will stop at nothing to protect—and that Meg alone can destroy. Together with the handsome stable hand she barely knows but hopes she can trust, Meg is swept into a hidden world of deception, betrayal, and revenge. The clockwork key has unlocked her destiny in this captivating start to a trilogy.


Michelle's Review:
I was intrigued by the synopsis of Legacy of the Clockwork Key and I was excited to read it. But in the end, it was just an okay read. It is one of those books where I don't hate it but I don't have any strong feelings for it either.

Basically, it is about Meg who lost her parents in a devastating fire and became an orphan. The only thing she had left of her parents was her father's pocket watch. Lord Rathford, who was supposedly an old family friend, took her in to work as a maid in his house. Meg was not having a easy time, with everything she went through and when she found out that her grandfather may still be alive, she enlisted the help of Lord Rathford's groom, Will, to help her. Soon Meg found out that her grandfather, her parents and Lord Rathford were all part of a secret society and that her parents' death may not be an accident after all. As Meg follows the clues and secrets about her family and the secret society were exposed, she finds out that someone was murdering the members and she may be next.

I like reading about secret societies and mystery stories. Put them together and I'm in reading heaven. I did like the mystery aspect of this novel. Meg was smart at finding and figuring out the clues and I liked how she was resourceful and wasn't above asking help from Will. The plot was a bit cliche and predictable at times, but well-paced. Unfortunately, I couldn't really bring myself to care for Meg and any of the characters. They were just okay. Also, the romance between Meg and Will were lukewarm at best. I didn't really feel any spark between them.

Legacy of the Clockwork Key failed to really grabbed me. But if you like reading mysteries involving a secret society set in a historical period, you might want to check out this novel.

1 comment

  1. I had very similar feelings to you-I was able to finish this book but I don't have a great passion for it and want to shout about it from the rooftops. Still there was nothing that made me hate it so I hope it finds its audience.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.