Thursday, February 28, 2013

book coverE-ARC: 304 pages 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: March 1, 2013
ISBN: 9781402271908
 
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Hundred Oaks #3 (standalone)
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
 

Companion to Catching Jordan and Stealing Parker.
Kate has always been the good girl. Too good, according to some people at school—although they have no idea the guilty secret she carries. But this summer, everything is different…
This summer she’s a counselor at Cumberland Creek summer camp, and she wants to put the past behind her. This summer Matt is back as a counselor too. He’s the first guy she ever kissed, and he’s gone from a geeky songwriter who loved The Hardy Boys to a buff lifeguard who loves to flirt…with her.
Kate used to think the world was black and white, right and wrong. Turns out, life isn’t that easy…


Michelle's Review:
In Thing I Can't Forget we have another page-turner read like Catching Jordan and Stealing Parker.

The novel began with Kate, a very devout Christian girl, feeling very guilty for helping her best friend do something that went against everything she believed in. Out of all of Miranda Kenneally's girls (Kate, Jordan, Parker) Kate was the hardest to like for me--her character was judgmental, had a very black-and-white view of the world and like some people called her, a "Jesus Freak." However, despite my initial dislike of Kate, it doesn't make her character any less real. Having grown up attending Bible studies and going to church like Kate, I understood where she was coming from and I know people like her in real life.

I enjoyed reading about Kate's summer in which temptations abound and her faith was tested but new friendships were also made that helped Kate's tunnel vision view of the world expand. In the end I did end up liking her, but I totally respected the fact that she stayed, at her core, herself and was able to hold on to her beliefs and principles.

As for the love interest, Matt, Kenneally created another swoon-worthy guy--although I don't know about the whole bare feet thing he had going on (I kept waiting for him to step on a thorn or a sharp twig or something while they were at the summer camp). Kate and Matt did get pretty hot and heavy in a few scenes and because of that I wouldn't recommend this novel to younger teens but there's nothing in this book that readers in high school and older will not be able to handle.

My only issue was that there were too many characters to keep up with. Besides Kate and Matt and Parker and Will, there were a slew of other camp counselors and they all had their own dramas--it was hard keeping up with who was who and what their story/drama was.

My favorite part of the novel was the friendship that formed between Kate and Parker. For those who loved Stealing Parker like myself (it's my fave out of all of the Hundred Oaks novels!), I'm happy to report that Parker and Will played large roles in this book. I love that we get an update about their relationship and where they may be heading in the future. Oh, and we also get a glimpse of Jordan and Sam Henry and get a mini update about them too.

Simply put, if you love contemporary YA romance that has a mix serious issues, drama and steamy scenes then you are going to devour Things I Can't Forget. It is a great addition to the Hundred Oaks series. 

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, thanks for the review. I'm so anxious to read this book...even though there are so many characters to keep track of, I'm still so anxious to read this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.