Michelle's Review: Real Mermaids Don't Need High Heels by Helene Boudreau

book coverE-ARC: 320 pages 
Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
Release Date: 2/1/2013
ISBN: 9781402270246
 
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Real Mermaids #3
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
 

The only thing that terrifies Jade more than the ocean is dancing at the Fall Formal. Because Jade has two left feet—er, flippers. Who knew being a high school freshman is even more awkward than being a plus-size aqua-phobic mer-girl? At least her only drama is of the human variety...
Or not.
The Mermish Council has just declared that all land-dwelling mers but return to the ocean. Pronto. But there's no way Jade is going to let her mom, or Luke, her...boyfriend? mer-guy-friend?, disappear into the deep, dark ocean. Again. After all, a girl's got to have a date to her first dance.
If Jade can stop mer-mageddon, finding a plus-size dress that doesn't look like a shower curtain should be a piece of cake.


Michelle's Review:
I read and liked Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings (book 1) back in 2010. It was a quick, fun read and I liked the character of Jade. When I was asked to review Real Mermaids Don't Need High Heels, I was a bit worried because it's been a while since I read Toe Rings and I have not had a chance to read book 2. However, it was very easy to get back into Jade's world and figure out what I had missed, so reading book 2 was not really necessary for me.

What I liked about High Heels:
1. Jade. She doesn't really get anything stand in her way and she stands up for her friends. I like reading a middle grade novel with heroine like Jade.

2. The action. There was never a dull moment in High Heels. There was always something going on and while there's some drama, it wasn't too dramatic.

3. The cute romance between Jade and Luke. It was nice to see Jade and Luke happy together and their kiss in the end was sweet.

What I didn't like about High Heels:
1. Problems were too easily solved or too abruptly solved with the sudden appearance of a character or a revelation.

Overall, it was a fun and light read sprinkled with humor. I think young girls who love mermaid stories will enjoy the Real Mermaids Don't Need High Heels and the other books in the series. Also, I think this series might appeal to middle grade girls who are reluctant readers because of its fun covers, the story was told in an easy-to-read, upbeat prose, the plot was straightforward and fast-paced and fairly short 240 pages. 

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.