Leslie's Review: Level 2 by Lenore Appelhans

book cover ARC: 280 pages 
Publisher: Simon&Schuster
 Release Date: January 15, 2013
ISBN: 9781442441852

Source of my copy: won
Series: The Memory Chronicles #1
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
 

Felicia Ward is dead. Trapped in a stark white afterlife limbo, she spends endless days replaying memories, of her family, friends, boyfriend ... and of the guy who broke her heart. The guy who has just broken into Level 2 to find her.
Felicia learns that a rebellion is brewing, and it seems she is the key. Suspended between heaven and earth, she must make a choice. Between two worlds, two lives and two loves.



Leslie's Review:
The premises of Level 2 sounded really interesting and new so my sister and I put it on our TBR list and even featured it in one of our "Books I Covet" posts. I had high expectations for this book, and sadly, not many of them were met.

I like happy endings, so I'll start with the bad and finish with the good.

Things I didn't like:
  1. The beginning was really overwhelming for me because the events happened so suddenly, so fast, and so surprisingly (but not in a good way). The sudden action made me go back and check if I skipped twenty or so pages. Maybe the beginning was suppose to be exciting and suspenseful, but for me, it was confusing and crazy.
  2. There was not much character development in Level 2. The only character that had any kind of development was Felicia, the main character. The other characters, however, were merely described, judged by Felicia, or were such static characters that there was no need for development. This disappointed me because I like forming my own opinions about the characters instead of relying on descriptions or the main character's judgements.
  3. I couldn't relate to or connect with Felicia as much as I wanted to. She was a very conflicted, stubborn, and oblivious character. And I was so annoyed by her constant mention of Neil that I didn't fully support her and Neil's relationship. (However, after I finished the book and reflected on it, Felicia and Neil's relationship was actually really nice and sweet.)
Things I did like:
  1. I like the way the author wrote. I thought her writing style of the book was easy and flowed well.
  2. The world building was great. I really liked it and thought it was really interesting and refreshingly different.
  3. The general plot-line was good. Despite the overwhelming beginning, I thought the plot was interesting and enjoyable.
  4. The ending was good too, though I wish it was stretched a little more or there was a more gradual move from the falling action to the resolution. Otherwise, the ending was nice but kind of bittersweet.
  5. I enjoyed learning about Felicia through her memories. Her memories helped me connect with and sympathize with her somewhat (though I wish I was able to connect with her more). 
The things I liked about Level 2 were what kept me reading the book. However, I don't think I'll be continuing The Memory Chronicles series--or I won't make a conscious effort to get book 2. Although I don't plan on continuing with her series, I will be on the look out for other books by author Lenore Appelhans because I do like her writing style.

1 comment

  1. Hm, good to know. We were on the fence about this one, and it sounds like it's probably not the right fit for us, at least right now. Thanks for your review! Sorry you didn't enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.