Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hello everyone,

I haven't done one of these journal-type of post in a while but I am doing something this spring semester that I am very, very excited about. I am an intern at the Hawaii State Public Library, the main library and the largest public library in the state of Hawaii.

What's more it is located in the historic district of downtown Honolulu (one of my favorite places to sight-see on Oahu), right next to the ʻIolani Palace and across the street from the Aliʻiōlani Hale (aka the Hawaii State Supreme Court Building; aka the Hawaii 5-0 "headquarters"). 

I am working with the children's and juvenile/middle grade collection. Admittedly, I am not as familiar with children's and MG books as I am with young adult and adult fiction but that only means I finally get that push to read more children's books and MG novels. 

I am especially excited because one of the first projects I am going to helping with is making the spring 2013 children's/MG booklist--since Hawaii State is the main library it makes THE BOOKLIST that will go out to the rest of branches statewide (Hawaii has the only statewide public library in the U.S.) to help them decide what books to purchase to add to their collection. 

Other things I will be doing are leading storytimes for the younger children, doing booktalks with older grades, manning the reference desk, weeding the collection, putting together other booklists in various topics and categories, among other things. 

It was only day 2 of my internship yesterday and I already feel at home there. Oh, but I do need to brush up on my Dewey for the non-fiction books... but, yeah, you'll probably see other posts about my internship and what I am up to in the future. 

-Michelle
(who is already making up booktalks for her favorite MG novels in her head as we speak)

4 comments:

  1. OMG awesome. And I'm so glad you mentioned Hawaii Five-O cause that is the first thing I thought when I saw the building.

    Man you live in an awesome place. You should post more pics of your beautiful surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! And what a great location. Kristan and Ingrid have been the palace, and it's just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful opportunity! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fantastic place to intern, and very exciting that you get to help make up their lists.

    ~Ailsa @The Book Bundle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.