Leslie's Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

book cover ARC: 452 pages 
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Release Date: Februrary 5, 2013
ISBN: 9780312642962

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Lunar Chronicles #2
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
 

Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own.
As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.


Leslie's Review:
After enjoying Cinder so much, I had to continue the Lunar Chronicles series by reading Scarlet. I had high expectations for the book, and fortunately, they were all met, and I ended up really enjoying Scarlet.

Some reviews about Scarlet said that the shift of the primary focus to a new character, Scarlet, annoyed or disappointed them, however this was not the case for me--I actually really liked it. The new point-of-view was refreshing and had added more to the ultimate plot line of the series. Besides, every other chapter, the perspective, or narration, would change, so Cinder and Kai were still heard from in this book, as well as other new and old characters.

To be honest, I didn't warm up to Scarlet as quickly as I did Cinder. She was so different from Cinder. Scarlet's attitude, strengths, and weaknesses were almost opposite to Cinder's, and I related very easily with Cinder. However, I admired Scarlet's character. Unlike Cinder, she was very assertive and tough and the type of heroine who doesn't like to be messed with.

The love interest, Wolf, was also very different to Kai. I really wasn't sure what to make of him throughout the majority of the book because he was such a confusing character. Half the time he was really nice, but the other half half of the time he was serious, fidgity, and violent. By the end of the book, I was beginning to understand his character and I'm excited to learn more about him in the next book in the series.

Marissa Meyer did not disappoint with her new book Scarlet--it's a terrific read and I was once again caught up in the world of Cinder and Scarlet. I can't wait to read the third book of the series, Cress. If you haven't yet, please read Cinder and Scarlet--because both books are excellent and you will love them, I promise. The Lunar Chronicles series is a MUST-READ.

3 comments

  1. If you would like a better understanding of Wolf, we recommend "The Queen's Army," which you can read free on Tor.com. It's a really nice in-betweener that Marissa Meyer wrote specifically for Wolf's back story.

    Anyway, glad you enjoyed SCARLET. We can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked Scarlet. I've been waiting for this second in the series after reading and loving Cinder, a genre I don't normally read. Can't wait to try to find this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People were disappointed to meet Scarlet? I liked Cinder (the character a lot) but I was thrilled to meet another kickass female. I still Kai more than Wolf though so I'm glad others are loving on him-leaves more Kai for me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.