Thursday, January 3, 2013

Leslie's Favorite Reads of 2012

Thursday, January 3, 2013 with
Hi everyone!

I read a total of 27 in 2012. I read 5 debut novels (one of the debut is Level Two and it doesn't come out until January 15 but I'm counting it anyway).

My top 5 favorites are: (in no particular order)
bookcover
Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst
Hurrah for standalone books! I knew I was going to enjoy Vessel because everything I've read by Sarah Beth Durst I've liked. And I was right!

It is excellent, imaginative and you just fall in love with the characters. I loved Liyana--I admired her and I was so sad when I finished the book because my time with her was over already.

Vessel is a must-read.


bookcover

Paper Towns by John Green
I have been a long-time view of John Green and Hank Green's YouTube videos, Vlog Brothers. But it was only in 2012 did I pick up my first John Green novel.

Paper Towns did not disappoint.






bookcover
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer
The fairy tale Cinderella was always a favorite of mine. After seeing the cover of Cinder and finding out that in this particular retelling Cinderella is a cyborg, I was very intrigued. After reading it, I had a new favorite!

Cinder was amazing! I absolutely LOVED it!! I was lucky enough to get an early copy of Scarlet and well, you'll just have to wait for my review. *_~



bookcover

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler and Maira Kalman
The reviews for Why We Broke Up was mixed and when I first started reading it I wasn't sure how I would feel about it but I ended up really, really liking it. I liked the style of writing and I thought the illustrations complemented the narration well.






bookcover
Good Girls by Laura Ruby
I wanted to take a break from review books so I asked my sister for a recommendation and she suggested I read Good Girls.

Good Girls is not a recent release (it was published in 2008) and I am so glad I came across this book and read it. It's about a good girl Audrey who hooks up with popular guy Luke and someone took a picture of them in a compromising position. The picture was passed around not only to the students but to her teachers and parents. Soon Audrey was being labeled a slut but Luke was being treated like a... hero?

This book doesn't shy away from tough, heavy issues and was explicit at times but it was surprisingly a feel-good read all the same. I highly recommend it for both girls and guys to read.


Okay, there you have it! My favorite reads of 2012. Look for my and my sister's list of most anticipated reads of 2013 tomorrow.

Hugs and books,
Leslie

6 comments:

  1. GAH we totally need to get our hands on VESSEL! Also, yay for PAPER TOWNS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read my first John Green book in 2012 too, The Fault In Our Stars, & I loved it! My parents got me Paper Towns for Christmas & now I'm even more excited to read it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been debating whether to pick up Vessel or not. I love mythology, but I'm still torn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had Good Girls in my TBR for awhile, but recently removed it. I may have to add it back.
    I'm currently reading Vessel.
    I loved Cinder and Paper Towns too! I've never heard of Why We Broke Up, I'll have to check that out.
    ^-^~

    -Shanise @ Camisado Mind

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list-I have Vessel on my list of 2012 missed books to pick up in 2013 because I've heard such good things about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.