Friday, December 14, 2012

ARC: 224 pages 
Publisher: Merit Press
Release Date: 12/18/2012
ISBN: 9781440552649
 
Source of my copy: FSG
Series: Twisted Lit #1
Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Recently banished, unfairly, by the school’s popular crowd, former “it girl,” Miranda Prospero, finds herself in a brave new world: holding dominion amongst a rag-tag crew of geeks and misfits where she works at the Hot-Dog Kabob in the food court of her local mall. When the worst winter storm of the season causes mall workers and last-minute shoppers to be snowed-in for the night, Miranda seizes the opportunity to get revenge against the catty clique behind her social exile. With help from her delightfully dweeby coworker, Ariel, and a sullen loner named Caleb who works at the mall’s nearby gaming and magic shop, Miranda uses charm and trickery to set things to right during this spirited take on Shakespeare’s The Tempest.

Michelle's Review:
Tempestuous is a "twisted lit" retelling of Shakespeare's The Tempest but since I am not all familiar with the play I am going to refrain from commenting about Tempestuous and The Tempest.

I picked up Tempestuous because the synopsis appealed to me. Miranda Prospero, who lost her high school status as “it-girl” now works in a wiener stand at the mall. When she, her co-workers and her ex-friends was snowed in at the mall, she gets her revenge all the while being handcuffed to Caleb, the last guy she wanted to spend time with.

It’s a very fun premise and, although I had few issues with Tempestuous, it was a fun read overall.

My biggest issue was with the writing which I thought was all over the place. On some parts, it had a… what I would call a Shakespearean flavor and then, a few sentences later it turns to regular speak. The writing switches off like this throughout the novel. I found it a bit jarring and it took me out of the story.

The other issue I had was towards the end when Miranda suddenly got over her anger and forgave her ex-friends seemingly out of nowhere. Three-fourths of the novel was all about getting back at them and then bam!—which left me wondering if I missed something.

Where Tempestuous shined though were the characters. Since both the preppy kids and the mall workers were both stranded in the mall, it quickly turned into a Sharks and Jets type of rivalry. This book had whole cast of characters that, while a bit cliché, were fun to read about because of the plans and schemes they get into with Miranda in the lead.

If you are familiar with Shakespeare's The Tempest, I think you would appreciate this novel more than I did. But if you're like me and you are not familiar with play, I think you'll enjoy it anyway.

I would liken Tempestuous to one of those Nickelodeon movies with a lot of planning and scheming and a lot of running around. There was even a bit of a mystery thrown in there, which made it all the more fun. I recommend Tempestuous for a light and quick weekend read.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had read The Tempest so I could see the similarities but I enjoyed it for its own merits. I don't really remember feeling jarred by the writing style so I guess that element worked better for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.