Leslie's Review: Perfect Escape by Jennifer Brown

book cover Hardcover: 364 pages 
Publisher: Little Brown
Release Date: July 10, 2012
ISBN: 9780316185574

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: none
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
 

WKendra has always felt overshadowed by her older brother, Grayson, whose OCD forces him to live a life of carefully coordinated routines. The only way Kendra can stand out next to Grayson is to be perfect, and she has perfection down to an art -- until a cheating scandal threatens her flawless reputation.
Behind the wheel of her car, with Grayson asleep beside her, Kendra decides to drive away from it all -- with enough distance, maybe she'll be able to figure everything out. But eventually, Kendra must stop running and come to terms with herself, her brother, and her past.
With undeniable grace and humor, acclaimed author Jennifer Brown explores OCD, the pressure for perfection, and the emotional highs and lows of a complex sibling relationship.


Leslie's Review:
Perfect Escape really delivered as it was refreshing, honest, real, and memorable. I liked its idea of two siblings--Kendra and Grayson--trying to escape from their problems by going on this road trip together and ending up learning more about themselves and each other. The plot was really interesting and well-paced. I enjoyed being immersed in Kendra and Grayson's road trip.

Having siblings of my own, I was able to relate and connect with Kendra and Grayson very well. Their honest relationship of friendly banter, arguing and disagreeing, and brotherly-sisterly moments captured what it's like to have a sibling, most especially one with difficulties--and that was what made Kendra and Grayson so real and relatable.

However, my favorite character was Grayson. Despite his difficulties, he was a great character and I imagine would've been a great person if he were real. Towards Kendra, he was nice (as much as a brother can be to his sister), caring, and protective. As an individual, he was very intelligent and truly determined in his efforts to overcome his OCD for the sake of his family. I would've love to have met him if he were a real person.

After reading Perfect Escape--my first of Jennifer Brown's books--I've decided to definitely check out her older books (and future books). I really the way she writes and her voice. I recommend this great read to anyone looking for something refreshing and honest. It really is a perfect escape.

2 comments

  1. Thank you for your review. I have been wanting to read this. I think I will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own several of this authors books but I haven't read any yet. This one especially interested me because I have OCD and it does involve my family when my anxiety gets to be too much. It's hard to find a book that's true to OCD and not just the stuff you see on TV.

    I may give in a pick this book up after all. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.