Thursday, October 4, 2012

book cover ARC: 350 pages 
Publisher: MacMillan
 Release Date: September 18, 2012
ISBN: 9780374380740

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Birthright #2
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
 

Since her release from Liberty Children's Facility, Anya Balanchine is determined to follow the straight and narrow. Unfortunately, her criminal record is making it hard for her to do that. No high school wants her with a gun possession charge on her rap sheet. Plus, all the people in her life have moved on: Natty has skipped two grades at Holy Trinity, Scarlet and Gable seem closer than ever, and even Win is in a new relationship. But when old friends return demanding that certain debts be paid, Anya is thrown right back into the criminal world that she had been determined to escape. It’s a journey that will take her across the ocean and straight into the heart of the birthplace of chocolate where her resolve--and her heart--will be tested as never before.

Leslie's Review:
I'm just going to say it: SOOOOOO GOOD!! I mean, that's exactly what I thought about as soon as I flipped the last page. I LOVED it. All of it. And I already can't wait for the next book to come out.

Once again, Anya shined for me in this second installment of Zevin's Birthright series. Her character continued to be a strong and courageous heroine that I truly admire. Even though she was (as she was in the first book) thoughtless and confused at times and messed things up greatly and often, it was her imperfections that made her such an awesome, true-to-life character. I rooted for her all throughout the story and I hope for the best for her in the next book (that ending . . . *whew*).

And just like the first book All These Things I've Done, the plot was full of action and suspense. It never dragged or got cliche for me; rather it kept me interested all throughout the book. I also liked the romance--it wasn't at all overdone and dramatized, which was really great and refreshing. The romance played a rather small role in Anya's story as it focused more on her mafia family and her dilemmas with them revolving around the illegal chocolate. But when the romance was brought up, it continued to be lovely and sweet. Although not the most heroic love interest, Win continued to be a great companion for Anya (companion, as in it's Anya, and her alone, who is carrying the series--another thing I like about it). I like how he calms her down, is protective of her, is always willing to help her, and how his calm nature balances out her fierce nature. He and Anya are one of my favorite YA couples.

This is a fantastic series! If you read book one, All These Things I've Done, you're going to want to pick up Because It Is My Blood ASAP. It's a MUST READ. I can't wait for book three!

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this; it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! I can't wait for the next one. Something about Birthright trilogy is addicting. Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/02/because-it-is-my-blood-by-gabrielle.html

    Thanks and have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.