Monday, September 3, 2012

book coverHardcover: 256 pages 
Publisher: Poppy
Release Date: August 7, 2012
ISBN: 9780316102131
 
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: standalone
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
 

It's all about supply and demand when a high school deals with the sudden exodus of male students.
The boy recession has hit Julius P. Heil High, and the remaining boys find that their stock is on the rise: With little competition, even the most unlikely guys have a good chance at making the team and getting the girl. Guitar-strumming, class-skipping Hunter Fahrenbach never wanted to be a hot commodity, but the popular girls can't help but notice his unconventional good looks. With a little work, he might even by boyfriend material.
But for down-to-earth Kelly Robbins, the boy recession is causing all sorts of problems. She has secretly liked her good friend Hunter for a while now, but how can she stand out in a crowd of overzealous Spandexers?
As if dating wasn't hard enough without a four-to-one ratio!


Michelle's Review:
I loved Flynn Meaney's debut novel Bloodthirsty (I reviewed it here) so I was very much looking forward her sophomore novel The Boy Recession.

I ended up enjoying Boy Recession. Although I didn't love it as much as I did Bloodthirsty, it was a quick, delightful read.

What I liked:

  1. The writing: Flynn Meaney's writing is very engaging and humorous. The writing just flowed so that you don't even realize how many pages you've turned.
  2. The alternating POV: I typically enjoy YA novels where the male and female main characters alternate. I liked getting both Kelly and Hunter's perspective and knowing what they were thinking. 
  3. Eugene (Hunter's best friend): He's a sailor, dressed like an eighty year-old golf player, an entrepreneur (he sells everything from booze to prom dates--he's a prom date pimp!) and doles out the best girl advice. He was a hoot!
  4. The pop culture references: There was mention of P&P (2005 vs. the BBC miniseries), Taylor Swift, Facebook, among others. Some people say pop references will age a book but I've always liked them in my reads and bring a smile to my face if they're well-placed. I thought they were in Boy Recession
  5. The chapter openings: Each chapter opens with a witty title from Kelly's friend Aviva's articles that she writes for the school newspaper (e.g., "Popularity of Plaid Shorts Plummets as Preppies Flee Julius" and "Cougars Among Us: Julius Juniors and Their Freshman Boy-Toys").
An issue:
My main issue in Boy Recession was with the main characters Kelly, an every-girl, and Hunter, a lovable lazy-ass. They were likable as a whole but I thought their characters didn't really shine as much as their eccentric friends' did. I also didn't necessarily cared for and root for them. This was the reason why I liked the novel not loved it.

Final thoughts:
Reading The Boy Recession is like watching a good Disney Channel movie (and I mean that as a compliment). It's a light, funny and a feel-good kind of novel. And if this is your kind of contemporary YA read, you can't go wrong with Flynn Meaney's novels.

4 comments:

  1. I completely get what you say when you compare this to a Disney Channel movie-that's kind of the impression I got from the cover and synopsis and is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to reading it. I *like* those kinds of stories a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Reading The Boy Recession is like watching a good Disney Channel movie (and I mean that as a compliment)."

    Perfect one-line review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This sounds like a great summer read, so we'll keep it on our TBR list. If we can't squeeze it in before this fall, we'll save it for next year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    It sounds interesting! I've spent the past year exposed to "relationship pundits" who use the jargon of economics to explain the relationship "market place," and this book sounds like a great bridge between that and my usual YA reading! Thanks for the review. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fun book. I got a review copy but haven't read it yet. Now I wish I'd picked it up over the summer. I like humorous details like funny quotes and I like pop culture references in my contemporary books as long as they don't overwhelm. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.