Book We Covet: Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger

Why we covet this book: Gail Carriger is an author we've always want to read. We are always hearing about her Parasol Protectorate series and how awesome it is and about the fan clubs devoted to it...

We might yet pick the series one of these days but we are very excited about her new YA series. It sounds like a fun read.

book cover
It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to finishing school.

Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is the bane of her mother's existence. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper etiquette at tea--and god forbid anyone see her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. She enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But little do Sophronia or her mother know that this is a school where ingenious young girls learn to finish, all right--but it's a different kind of finishing. Mademoiselle Geraldine's certainly trains young ladies in the finer arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but also in the other kinds of finishing: the fine arts of death, diversion, deceit, espionage, and the modern weaponries. Sophronia and her friends are going to have a rousing first year at school.

First in a four book YA series set 25 years before the Parasol Protectorate but in the same universe.
Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School #1) comes on February 5, 2013 from Little, Brown for Young Readers. For more info and news about the novel, visit check out the author's website. Click on the cover to go to the book's Goodreads page.

What book(s) do you "covet" this week?
Leave a comment with a link so we can check your WoW of the week too.


"Books I Covet" is a weekly or bi-weekly blog post series I am going to be doing here. It will feature books I am very excited about reading and plan on buying/borrowing in the near future. It is similar to the "Waiting On" meme hosted by Jill of Breaking the Spine. However, some of the books may already be published and others may still be in pre-order. I will include the books' blurb, cover art, and/or release date if they're available. Click on the WoW image on the left to join in!

24 comments

  1. I'm really excited about this one too! I enjoyed the first book in her Parasol Protectorate series and I bet I will love the writing in this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fab and I ADORE the cover. It makes me crave a costume party. One day I will get to dress of steampunk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this cover! It's just amazing! Thanks for sharing and stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great cover, and this definitely sounds good. Great pick..

    Thank you for stopping by.
    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of people seem to be waiting for this book ;) I do like the cover :) Great pick. <3 Hope you'll love it ;)
    Thank you for commenting on my WoW. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the title, Etiquette & Espionage. Great pick!
    Thanks for visiting My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm waiting on this too! I love this cover and the synopsis! Great pick!

    Thanks for stopping by Take Me Away...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I already have this one pre-ordered! Sounds amazing :)

    Thanks for stopping by the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. fashion school? I've never read a book about students in fashion school! I hope that I'll get the chance to read this one! :)
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the sound of this one! Thanks for stopping by My WoW

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  11. OOoh I so can't wait for this either! Love Gail Carriger! Still need to read her series finale though! And her Graphic Novel! Very behind it seems!

    Thanks for visiting my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this one too! Gail Carriger is so much fun, I can't wait to see what she does with YA. Great pick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the cover and the synopsis sounds awesome. Thanks so much for sharing & for stopping by :)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks really cool, thanks for sharing it and for stopping by My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very intriguing. I'll definitely be checking this one out. And thanks for sharing and for stopping by.

    ~Danica Page
    Taking it One Page at a Time

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want this book too!! Great pick! Thanks so much for spotlighting it today. Please check out my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want this book too!! Great pick! Thanks so much for spotlighting it today. Please check out my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love spies and academies and espionage! Sounds kind of like The Gallagher Girls which I love! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Eeep! I can't wait for this! I love cover and the sound of it. Like Jennifer i love spies and espionage and Gallagher Girls so it's no wonder i can't wait for this! Awesome pick! :)

    Sangita @ Whisper of Reads.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the sound, and look, of this one too! I own one of Gail's books but I haven't read it yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hadn't heard of this one before but it sounds interesting! I hope you enjoy it when it comes out.
    Thanks for visiting by WOW post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I stumbled on this on GR this passed week too! I hadn't noticed she was also the authors of the Parasol Protectorate series! I have book #1 but I haven't read it yet. Maybe I should get on that... lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.