Wednesday, August 1, 2012

book coverHardcover: 318 pages 
Publisher: Harper
Release Date: October 4, 2011
ISBN: 9780062048509
 
Source of my copy: Deb Shapiro & Co.
Series: Eve #1
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
 

Where do you go when nowhere is safe?
Sixteen years after a deadly virus wiped out most of Earth's population, the world is a perilous place. Eighteen-year-old Eve has never been beyond the heavily guarded perimeter of her school, where she and two hundred other orphaned girls have been promised a future as the teachers and artists of the New America. But the night before graduation, Eve learns the shocking truth about her school's real purpose--and the horrifying fate that awaits her.
Fleeing the only home she's ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Arden, her former rival from school, and Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust... and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.
In this epic new series, Anna Carey imagines a future that is both beautiful and terrifying. Readers will revel in Eve's timeless story of forbidden love and extraordinary adventure.


Michelle's Review:
I came to Eve with somewhat low expectations after I read all the reviews about it. But it ended up surprising me because I enjoyed it (despite a couple of major issues) a lot more than I thought I would.

Eve is a novel you will either like or hate and it has a lot to do with its main character Eve. She was a very sheltered, innocent good girl who grew up in female-only School after a plagued wiped up nearly all of the U.S. population. School taught the girls that they must stay away from men and boys because they were vile and violent savages who were after only one thing. But when Eve found out the true purpose of School, she runs away. She soon came across Arden (a former student of School who also ran away) and was soon rescued by Caleb. Together they travel to a safe sanctuary, Califia and all the while running from soldiers determined to take the girls backs and fighting off dangers in the wild.

What I liked:
It was fast-paced. Things happened fast and kept on until the end so there was never really a dull moment.

I thought Eve's world New America was interesting. We learned things about it through Eve's perspective like there was a plague that killed everyone off and it was mentioned throughout the novel but it was all very vague and it was never really truly explained. So, now I'm wondering if there was really a plague or did was it just a cover for something else? New America is ruled by a king who was building a new city called City of Sand supposedly on the backs of plague victims. What's his agenda and how does Eve fit into it? All of these unanswered questions makes me want to keep going with the series.

Because Eve, Arden and her classmates at School were bombarded with propaganda against men, it was interesting to watch her figure out that what they had taught her was wrong--most men were good and they were struggling just as much as the women in this New America. But Eve and Arden also met men that did not have good intentions and they realize that not everything they were taught at School was wrong and that there were bad men too.

Arden. She was tough and take-charge kind of girl--she was the more interesting character to read about and the kind of character I can get behind and root for. More than once while I was reading the novel I wished she was the main character and we are seeing things through her eyes.

What I did not like:
Eve, for most of the book. She was pretty much the opposite of Arden--insipid and, more often than not, had to be rescued--I often got annoyed with her. Eve did get better in the end so I hope she'll be a stronger character in book two.

The romance. It was one of those insta-love types and uninspired. I did like Caleb. He was a nice guy and was consistent (there was none of the does-he-like-me-or-doesn't-he here, which was good), but there was really nothing to distinguish him from other nice guy heroes in YA.

Final thoughts:
Admittedly, I had low expectations when I started reading Eve so maybe that was why I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The thing that saved this book for me and what kept me reading despite my issues with the main character was the fast pacing throughout. Also, the world was interesting enough that I got curious and want to read more. If I were to give a rating for this book, it's a 2.5/3 stars out of 5 kind of read. If you cannot get enough dystopians, check it out!

1 comment:

  1. I have pretty low expectations for this one as well since so many people say what you said about it being a love it or hate it read. I do have hopes though that this can bring something to the dystopian genre.

    Thanks for the great review, I hope you enjoy the second book and that Eve gets stronger. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.