Wednesday, August 29, 2012

book cover Hardcover: 368 pages 
Publisher: Tor Teen
 Release Date: July 3, 2012
ISBN: 9780765329646

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: none

Synopsis (from Goodreads) 
Orphaned at the age of six, Jane Williams has grown up in a series of foster homes, learning to survive in the shadows of life. Through hard work and determination, she manages to win a scholarship to the exclusive Birch Grove Academy. There, for the first time, Jane finds herself accepted by a group of friends. She even starts tutoring the headmistress’s gorgeous son, Lucien. Things seem too good to be true.
They are.
The more she learns about Birch Grove’s recent past, the more Jane comes to suspect that there is something sinister going on. Why did the wife of a popular teacher kill herself? What happened to the former scholarship student, whose place Jane took? Why does Lucien’s brother, Jack, seem to dislike her so much?
As Jane begins to piece together the answers to the puzzle, she must find out why she was brought to Birch Grove—and what she would risk to stay there….


Leslie's Review:
The writing style of Dark Companion was easy and straightforward yet had deep, thoughtful meaning and great vocabulary. Its plot was well-paced and interesting, though at times it did feel like it was dragging.

It was written in first-person through Jane Williams. Admittedly, at first, didn't like Jane mostly because there was nothing about her character and her personality that I could really relate to and connect with. She and I had different lifestyles and she came across as a strong, too stubborn, too independent and complicated character. Also, I was really annoyed at the beginning by her infatuation with Lucian, who only seemed like a pretty face. I disliked how he took advantage of Jane and treated her unfairly. Many times I wanted to reach into the book and take Jane by the shoulders and shake some sense into her. Thankfully though, she eventually got a hold of her self and I began to like her more as I continued to read, especially towards the climax. I really liked the ending too. It was open-ended yet final if that makes sense. I found it refreshing especially after all the cliffhanger endings many YA books have these days that left you feeling jipped.

One last thing I wanted to mention about this book was this one aspect of it that was unique and different and something I have never heard of or come across before in anything or anywhere. I can't say what it was exactly without spoiling the book but I will say that it was unexpected and threw off the perception I had of this book when I read the blurb. It caught my attention and made me curious, and kept by interest until the very end.

Overall, Dark Companion was a different and refreshing read. It had been awhile since I read anything like it and I hope to come across more paranormals that has that unique quality to it. I recommend this book to anyone who loves paranormal reads or gothic reads because this one I am sure you will enjoy it.

1 comment:

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.