Leslie's Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

book cover ARC: 387 pages 
Publisher: MacMillan
Release Date: January 3, 2012
ISBN: 9780312641893

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Lunar Chronicles #1
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
 

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


Leslie's Review:
Ever since I was little Cinderella was always my favorite Disney princess because I loved her story: a girl despised and looked down on until one magical night (or nights for the original Cinderella story) when her dreams of love, hope, and happiness come true. So when we received Cinder, I was so excited because it's a different retelling of my favorite story, set in the future and Cinderella is a cyborg--it doesn't get anymore awesome than that!

Cinder was absolutely fantastic! I LOVED IT! The plot was outstanding, awesome and suspenseful enough that it kept me at the edge of my seat and got my heart racing (seriously). The world-building was also excellent--I really liked how well it was introduced and described throughout the story and how it was different than any other dystopian world I've ever read.

However, it was Marissa Meyer's writing style was what really made everything come together beautifully--it was lyrical and it flowed nicely. I easily got lost in her words. The third-person narration that focused on Cinder and Prince Kai alternatively. They were both really likable and well-developed and I absolutely loved how true-to-life they both were. I was able to connect and relate to both of them. As for the romance between them, it was just so sweet and uncomplicated. It was not insta-love (yes!!) but rather two people who just like each other. I rooted for the two of them all throughout the story.

The ending of Cinder left me wanting more, more, more!! This fantastic debut novel is a MUST READ. It can--and will--be enjoyed by all. I can't wait for the next book Scarlet to come out in February 2013 (ahhhhh! such a long wait!!).

7 comments

  1. I've had this one on my wishlist for ages now. It sounds awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this too ! I think the third person was a great change of pace. Glad you liked it too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, glad you liked it! We enjoyed a lot of the same elements that you did. And not only was there no insta-love, but also their relationship is obviously not fully cemented and settled yet. We like that. We like that there's more to look forward to, and evolution that reflects how relationships work in the real world.

    So yeah, we're definitely looking forward to SCARLET coming out soon, plus the next two books after that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cinderella was always my fave fairy tale too and I enjoyed this futuristic twist-lots of new things added to the story and one that left me excited for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loved this one as well! I liked how it was a futuristic fairytale retelling instead of a modern day retelling. It was absolutely fantastic. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.