Leslie's Review: The Angel Experiment by James Patterson

book cover Paperback: 422 pages 
Publisher: Little Brown
Release Date: April 2005
ISBN: 9780316067959

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Book #1 of Maximum Ride

Synopsis (from Amazon) 
In James Patterson's blockbuster series, fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride, better known as Max, knows what it's like to soar above the world. She and all the members of the "flock"--Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angel--are just like ordinary kids--only they have wings and can fly. It may seem like a dream come true to some, but their lives can morph into a living nightmare at any time...like when Angel, the youngest member of the flock, is kidnapped and taken back to the "School" where she and the others were experimented on by a crew of wack jobs. Her friends brave a journey to blazing hot Death Valley, CA, to save Angel, but soon enough, they find themselves in yet another nightmare--this one involving fighting off the half-human, half-wolf "Erasers" in New York City. Whether in the treetops of Central Park or in the bowels of the Manhattan subway system, Max and her adopted family take the ride of their lives. Along the way Max discovers from her old friend and father-figure Jeb--now her betrayed and greatest enemy--that her purpose is save the world--but can she?

Leslie's Review:
I have lost count of how many times people (outside the blogging world) have recommended I read the Maximum Ride series. When the opportunity to review the first book in the series came up (to celebrate the release of the final book in the series Nevermore: The Final Maximum Ride Adventure on August 6th), I jumped at the chance to read it.

I was pretty excited to start this book because the premise sounded interesting and I heard that James Patterson is a great writer. It started out well--I liked how it was written mostly in first-person of Max and then alternated now and then to third-person of the other major characters (i.e. her family Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman, and Angel). It seemed like it was going to be a thrilling and fast read and the writing style seemed easy and undemanding. The characters were great too as I kept up as I reading. I liked how they were all strong, courageous individuals with unique and cool talents (I wish I could fly or read minds!). But soon the pace, the plot and writing style eventually got to me.

Unfortunately, as I continued reading, I found that it a bit slow and boring at times. The characters all had a purpose, they went out on an adventure, encountered problems now and then, but for me it wasn't suspenseful or exciting enough. As for the writing style, it just wasn't for me. I gradually found it too easy and too simple, if that makes sense. All of these things didn't help me get into the story.

I really wanted to like Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment but I'm sad to say I didn't enjoy this book as much as I wanted to. I will not be continuing the series.

This book wasn't for me but I do think many people will enjoy it (and many people do!). The writing is very accessible--I think readers, both girls and boys, 6th grade and up will enjoy it.

1 comment

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.