Friday, June 15, 2012

book cover Hardcover: 218 pages
Publisher: Little Brown
Release Date: April 24, 2012
ISBN: 978-0316182461
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: none
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
A novel about love, loss, and sex -- but not necessarily in that order.
Before her mother died, Shelby promised three things: to listen to her father, to love as much as possible, and to live without restraint. Those Promises become harder to keep when Shelby's father joins the planning committee for the Princess Ball, an annual dance that ends with a ceremonial vow to live pure lives -- in other words, no "bad behavior," no breaking the rules, and definitely no sex. Torn between Promises One and Three, Shelby makes a decision -- to exploit a loophole and lose her virginity before taking the vow. But somewhere between failed hookup attempts and helping her dad plan the ball, Shelby starts to understand what her mother really meant, what her father really needs, and who really has the right to her purity.


Leslie's Review:
My sister, being a fan of Jackson Pearce's books, has always recommended her novels to me. We are both fans of her YouTube videos yet I have never read any of her books until Purity. I was really excited when her publisher sent us Purity. After reading this novel, I must say that now I am a fledgling fan of her too--I have to read her other books to be a true fan (ha!).

Purity was an honest, wonderful, meaningful read. I loved it all. Pearce's writing style is simple, understandable and touching. The narration of the book, which was in the POV of Shelby, was humorous and candid. Shelby herself, as well as the other characters in the book, were brilliant and relatable. I enjoyed reading about them and almost felt like I was actually interacting with them as I read. And of course the plot and themes were great--when I first read the synopsis, I thought that the book would be more of an emotional, sober read but it turned out to be not so.

I loved reading about Shelby and her friends' plot for Shelby to loose her virginity before the Princess Ball in order for her to keep the promises she made to her mother. All the funny mishaps, embarrassing experiences, and thought provoking dialogue were all great and made this book an overall wonderful read for me. And then I came to the ending--this was my impression of it when I read it: beautiful.

I recommend Purity to anyone in the mood for a light and genuine read. Purity is a must-read for fans of Jackson Pearce's books. Her first contemporary novel is a winner! I don't know why I waited so long to read a book by Ms. Pearce--I am looking forward to reading her paranormal/fairytale retellings (my sister has all her books!). Any recommendations to which of her other books I should read first?

3 comments:

  1. I have yet to read anything by Pearce so this is great that her books are so well loved. I have to try to get my hands on a copy of this one.

    Thanks for the great review. I thought this was an emotional read as well which is why I've been putting it off but it sounds like so much more than that.

    I hope you love her other books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read anything by her yet, but I'm a follower on youtube and this is definitely high up on my TBR list! great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this review. I've had the sample of Purity on my Kindle for a while now and have been holding back on getting the whole thing due to my growing, growing, growing reading list. However, I'm thinking I'll definitely have to squeeze it in now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.