Michelle's Review: My Wicked Little Lies by Victoria Alexander

book cover ARC: 374 pages
Publisher: Zebra
Release Date: January 31, 2012
ISBN: 9781420117066

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Sinful Family Secrets #2**
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Evelyn Hadley-Attwater has it all -- a genteel Victorian life replete with loving husband, ball gowns and elegant parties. No one, including the man she married, suspects that she was once "Eve," a spy for England's most enigmatic intelligence agency. Summoned for one final assignment, the excitement of her former life and memories of her mysterious, flirtatious boss "Sir" prove too tempting...

Adrian Hadley-Attwater is a respectable, dignified gentleman. But even the most proper gentlemen have secrets of their own. Secrets from the rest of the world, from their families, from their wives. Secrets that have a price. Now, as a veil of secrecy frays, a tantalizing game of cat and mouse will test the bounds of unfailing love...


Michelle's Review:
I wanted to read this novel because it has a second-chance-at-love/Mr. and Mrs. Smith plot line and I really enjoy that romance trope. My Wicked Little Lies ended up being a fun, light read.

The hero, Adrian and the heroine, Evelyn (or Evie) have been married for two years when the story began. Their marriage was wonderful and they were both very happy--until Evelyn, who was a spy for the crown before her marriage, was summoned for an assignment only she can carry through. When Adrian noticed his wife's odd behavior, he suspected she might be cheating on him. He trusted his wife but in the two years, their marriage had gotten... comfortable--Adrian himself had been restless lately so maybe his wife was feeling the same and decided to spice things up by indulging in an affair?

I really liked the relationship between Adrian and Evie. Unlike more romances out there, the story was not about the courtship and falling in love or rediscovering love again. There was no question that these two loved and enjoy each other--which was wonderful and refreshing to read. The conflict came in when Evie's pulled back to spying and Adrian's insecurities surface. I also really like the secondary romance between Evie's secretary and best friend and Adrian's friend. Their romance was just as fun as to read as Adrian and Evie's.

I love the second-chance-at-love/Mr. and Mrs. Smith romantic trope and I thought My Wicked Little Lies was a fun, quick read. There is little spying in the story though but it didn't bother me, I liked that it focused on the characters than the mystery. There was nothing I disliked about this novel but it was just an okay read--if you are looking for a light, fast and fluffy read over the weekend this book is for you. I liked it but it's not something I would keep and re-read again.

**My Wicked Little Lies is book two in the Sinful Family Secrets series but it can be read as a standalone. You do not have to read the first book to enjoy it.

4 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOUR REVIEWS!!! <3 Please check out my blog too? I review books as well! :D <3 www.milinasblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one does sound interesting due to the fact that they are already in love. It sounds like it wasn't the best historical out there but something light and fun which could be a good thing.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had read one book by Victoria Alexander but I don't remember being particularly impressed by it. But this does sound like a fun book so perhaps I should give her another try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.