Thursday, March 29, 2012

book cover Hardcover: 516 pages
Publisher: Little Brown
Release Date: October 18, 2011
ISBN: 978-0316123528
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: 3rd book of Caster Chronicles
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Ethan Wate thought he was getting used to the strange, impossible events happening in Gatlin, his small Southern town. But now that Ethan and Lena have returned home, strange and impossible have taken on new meanings. Swarms of locusts, record-breaking heat, and devastating storms ravage Gatlin as Ethan and Lena struggle to understand the impact of Lena's Claiming. Even Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals is affected - and their abilities begin to dangerously misfire. As time passes, one question becomes clear: What - or who - will need to be sacrificed to save Gatlin?
For Ethan, the chaos is a frightening but welcome distraction. He's being haunted in his dreams again, but this time it isn't by Lena - and whatever is haunting him is following him out of his dreams and into his everyday life. Even worse, Ethan is gradually losing pieces of himself - forgetting names, phone numbers, even memories. He doesn't know why, and most days he's too afraid to ask.
Sometimes there isn't just one answer or one choice. Sometimes there's no going back. And this time there won't be a happy ending.


Leslie's Review:
When I began reading this third book of the Caster Chronicles series, a lot of time had passed since I finished the second book Beautiful Darkness--so you can imagine how lost I felt when events from the second book were mentioned as I read. Also, it didn't help how the beginning of this book was slow. But eventually, the story came together and the pace picked up and this book became a great, thrilling, exciting read.

The first two books of the series centered on the threat of Lena's Claiming on her and Ethan's relationship. But in this third book, the two, along with everyone in Gatlin, must face the consequences of Lena's Claiming--the End of Days. Blistering heat, swarms of locusts and terrible storms hits Gatlin and the Southern folks while the Casters' powers go awry. But this is only a distraction for Ethan Wate for he is experiencing some problems of his own. Every night he is haunted by something that follows him throughout the day. Everyday Ethan loses a little bit of himself--his memories--and has no idea how to stop or control this from happening.

There was a lot of mystery, twists and turns in this book and I absolutely loved it all. Throughout the book (or, when I finally into the story and the pacing picked up) I was on the edge of my seat. The plot was like a complicated math problem that I had to figure out and I loved it! I kept trying to guess what will happen next and every time I was wrong, it made me continue reading into the night. When I finally got to the cliffhanger ending (of course!), I was left breathless, speechless and amazed. I hope the fourth book in this series that will answer my burning questions.

The characters were also fantastic! All the characters from the previous books were back but they were more mature and stronger than before. I liked how Lena and Ethan's relationship wasn't as emphasized in this book. It mostly focused on how they will save Gatlin, the Casters and how Ethan will save himself. I also liked watching the development of a new relationship between two other characters (sorry, can't say who--you gotta read the book!). I rooted for them and I can't wait to see how their story will be explored.

Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl are truly amazing writers! They have truly blown me away with this third installment of the Caster Chronicles. Despite its slow beginning, I think that this in the best book out of the whole series. I am impatiently waiting for the fourth book and I have high expectation. For those who have read the first two books of this series, you have to read this book for there were a lot to discover. And if you haven't read this series yet, what are you waiting for?! The story gets better and better with every book.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like I need to read this series. I have had books 1 and 2 on my shelf for quite a while and never got around to reading them.

    I'm so glad you enjoyed this book and I hope you love book four.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this, I've had it since it came out. Your review has motivated me !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.