Tuesday, January 31, 2012

book cover ARC: 264 pages
Publisher: Walker
Release Date: January 17, 2011
ISBN: 9780802723093

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: none
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine--despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?
Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?
For fans of best-sellers like
Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death.


Michelle's Review:
With phrases like "far from normal" and "strange sensations she can't control or explain" and "drawn to the dying" I thought I was in for a paranormal read when I first began Fracture. What I got instead was a gripping, unpredictable and dark novel that was hard to put down.

I didn't find Delaney's character particularly likable but I understood where she was coming from and why she acted and did what she did. She had a near death experience, there was an awkwardness with her best friend Decker (who saved her from the icy waters and she has romantic feelings for) and she couldn't really talk to him about what happened to her, her mother did not know how to deal with her, she has a strange new ability, and now Troy, a strange (and potentially dangerous) older boy with a similar ability, was the only one who seem to really understand her. I wouldn't be likable too if I had to deal with all of that.

Troy was a curious character. Throughout the novel, I was not sure what to make of him. Was her there to guide Delaney with her new strange ability or will he ultimately be her downfall? He wasn't good (he's borderline psychopathic in some scenes) but I did not find him all bad either. Besides Troy, all of the characters had many different sides to all them. Everyone of them were flawed, imperfect and interesting. Yes, there was a sort of love triangle between Decker, Delaney and Troy but it was the kind of love triangle that I do not mind reading (aka, it's not the Twilight kind of love triangle, you know what I mean?).

The pacing was fast-paced and you do not quite know where the plot will go, which I really like. I really enjoyed the psychological mystery and creepiness of it. Fracture was an unexpected, gripping read with plenty of dark twists and turns. At less than three hundred pages in length, Fracture was a fast read but it pack quite a punch. It was a superb debut by Megan Miranda--I am very eager to read more by her. If you're looking for a different kind of young adult read, Fracture is for you. Read it.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard nothing but great things about this one. Sometimes I do not like darker YA stories because they normally are not for me but this one does sound really good.

    Thanks for the great review, I shall have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.