Michelle's Review: Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst

book cover Paperback: 385 pages
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Release Date: September 13, 2011
ISBN: 9781442423732

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: none (standalone)
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Pearl is a sixteen-year-old vampire... fond of blood, allergic to sunlight, and mostly evil... until the night a sparkly unicorn stabs her through the heart with his horn. Oops.
Her family thinks she was attacked by a vampire hunter (because, obviously, unicorns don't exist), and they're shocked she survived. They're even more shocked when Pearl discovers she can now withstand the sun. But they quickly find a way to make use of her new talent. The Vampire King of New England has chosen Pearl's family to host his feast. If Pearl enrolls in high school, she can make lots of human friends and lure them to the King's feast -- as the entrees.
The only problem? Pearl's starting to feel the twinges of a conscience. How can she serve up her new friends—especially the cute guy who makes her fangs ache—to be slaughtered? Then again, she's definitely dead if she lets down her family. What's a sunlight-loving vamp to do?


Michelle's Review:
I'll start by saying that Drink Slay Love is freaking AWESOME. It's a hilarious, tongue-in-cheek paranormal mash up of vampires and unicorns. That's right, I said vampires and unicorns.

I loved Pearl from the beginning. She's not your typical YA heroine in that she's a sexy goth chick that can kick ass and she knows it and revels in it. She's deliciously an evil vampire and even when she started developing a conscience after being stabbed by a unicorn, she doesn't lose her initial self. She stays Pearl but with a conscience. I also really enjoyed her snarky, sarcastic voice. Besides Pearl, this novel was chock full of great characters, from Pearl's mafia-esque vampire family to the students at the high school that Pearl befriends. Evan and Bethany were especially great--Bethany, who was the complete opposite of Pearl, was the kind of friend you want to have and Evan was a sweet love interest for Pearl.

The plot was fast and fun with a lot of clever twists that culminated to the biggest high school event: prom. Somehow Pearl had to save the entire junior class from becoming the Vampire King of New England's feast and I was at the edge of my seat wondering how she will pull it off.

Drink Slay Love was very different from the two novels I've read by the author. It's a departure from the epic fantasy that was Ice (one of my favorite fantasy/fairy tale retelling books of all time) and Enchanted Ivy but the writing was just as spot-on. I love the author's non-flowery, clean writing style. This novel was fast-paced, humorous and clever. If you like Rachel Hawkins' Hex Hall series, you're going to enjoy this one too. I absolutely loved it and I highly recommend it.

5 comments

  1. I love tongue-in-cheek type of comments and writing. I shall have to try this one out. I also greatly enjoyed the Hex Hall Series so this one needs to go on my wish list.

    Thanks for the great review, even though vampires and unicorns sounds like a weird combo it seems like it might just work here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just from reading the summary, I know this would be a fun read! Great review Michelle! I can't wait to finally have this in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want this in audio. But I'm not sure it's available.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.