Monday, January 9, 2012

book cover Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: December 1, 2011
ISBN: 9781402262272

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: none
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though - she leads them as the captain and quarterback on her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starring position on the team... and has her suddenly wishing to be seen as more than just a teammate.


Michelle's Review:
I knew I was going to like Catching Jordan after reading the synopsis because I love reading fun, contemporary romantic young adult reads and I was right. I did very much enjoy this delightful debut by author Miranda Kenneally.

From page one, I liked Jordan's character and cheered for her throughout the novel as she dealt with a father who disapproves of her playing football, worked to earn a football scholarship to her dream school and navigate through a romantic entanglement she suddenly found herself in. Jordan was tough on the outside, being the quarterback and captain of her football team, she has the respect of her teammates. But inside she's emotional and has her insecurities just like everyone and many girls can relate to her.

Romance was a big part of Catching Jordan and, yes, there was a love triangle though the synopsis does not hint it at all. Usually I dislike love triangles but here I didn't mind it because I genuinely liked both Ty and Sam Henry, Jordan's best friend. Both were good guys and swoon-worthy--although I did like one more than the other and from the beginning rooted for him to be the one to end up with Jordan. And I appreciated the fact that the guy Jordan did not "choose" wasn't just tossed to the side in the end.

I did have some minor issues with this novel though. One was the whole home ec class scene where the students had to pair up to be "husband and wife" to take care of a fake baby to learn about marriage. It's been done a lot in teen romance and it's certainly a fun fantasy to be able to play husband and wife with a guy you have romantic feelings for, but do they still really do that in high school as a real assignment? It was too much of a cliché and it threw me off a little. Some of characters also played too much on the stereotype of ditzy cheerleaders and man whore football players.

And, yes, the plot of the novel has been done before and you can predict what will happen once you start reading but one of the reasons why I liked it so much, why I found it so entertaining was in its predictability. Catching Jordan was sweet, it had some funny moments and was, basically, a feel-good, romantic comedy kind of read. It is teenage escapism at its best. Read it if you're looking for a light romantic contemporary YA read.

5 comments:

  1. Great review, I agree with everything you said. I enjoyed this book even though it was predictable because it was just a fun story with great characters. I was so Team Henry! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review! We all want to read this one. And you know, predictability is not usually a problem with contemporary YA. It's less about plot and more about character -- part of why we like it so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to read this; I bought it with one of my holiday gift cards and I'm looking forward to enjoying a fun contemporary read with a sports angle. Perfect for a lazy weekend afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds quite a good book - great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review! I'm looking forward to reading this book even more now. It's kind of sad that I haven't read it YET. I mean I have it sitting in my kindle and everything. Hopefully I'll get to it within the month, if not next.

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.