Interview with author Gwen Hayes, author of Dreaming Awake

We are happy to welcome author Gwen Hayes today. Her newest release is Dreaming Awake--the sequel to the totally awesome Falling Under. Read my review of Falling Under.

book cover
She fell for him in a nighttime world. But the time for dreaming is past—and the here-and-now can be just as fragile their love…

When Theia Alderson first encountered a mysterious, handsome boy in her dreams, she never imagined how finding Haden Black—and falling in love—could change her life. To save Haden, Theia sacrificed everything. And the dangerous bargain she made could have lasting repercussions.

Now Theia has returned to Serendipity Falls, and she finds herself struggling with the same deadly hungers that have tortured Haden. When students at their high school fall prey to a mysterious illness, Theia can’t help but wonder if Haden’s control is slipping—and how much longer she’ll have a grip on her own.

And still the nightmare realm of Under won’t let them go. Someone from Haden’s past is determined to destroy Theia from the inside out, starting with those closest to her, forcing Theia to choose between family and friends and a love that may have been doomed from the start…
Hi Gwen! What gave you the idea to write the Falling Under series?
Hello and thanks for having me!

Falling Under began from the very first scene for me too. I had no idea what the story was about.... just the burning man falling from the sky. It was a fun and frustrating process to unearth the story from that scene.

Can you tell us a little about your upcoming release Dreaming Awake? Will there be any new characters introduced or different settings taking place in this sequel?
Dreaming Awake begins where Falling Under left off. It's my "What happens after happily ever after isn't?" book. Theia and Haden have a lot of challenges ahead of them. Relationships are more than just falling in love. Plus, Theia needs to come to terms with the changes from Falling Under.

Did you find it more challenging or easier to write Dreaming Awake than Falling Under? Why?
It was much harder! Mostly self-induced trauma, though. The weight of the world's expectations seemed really heavy. I'd read reviews for book one and worry that book two would fall flat or my editor would hate it.... I really stressed myself out. I think because book one I wrote to please myself (as unpublished author) and book two I wrote to please others.

If you could spend one whole day within the world of the Falling Under series, what would you do and who would you spend time with?
I'd drink coffee with the girls and gossip about the sneetches! But I'd stay away from Under.

As another year ends and a new one approaches, do you have any New Year resolutions for 2012?
I'm working really hard to live a greener and more mindful life. I've been learning how to make my own soaps, lotions, and cleaning supplies to remove toxins and chemicals from our home, some adventures have been more successful than others. I'm pretty in love with my all-purpose cleaner though. I posted my recipe here: http://trickinlife.blogspot.com/2011/12/non-toxic-all-purpose-cleaner-recipe.html

We're also applying ourselves to eat local foods, supporting our local farmers and food artisans. I'm less than impressed with the factory farms and big agribusinesses that control so much of our food supply.

Oh.... and write another book or two, of course....

*******
Thank you for stopping by our blog and answering our questions, Gwen! You can chat with her through Facebook, Twitter and her blog, where you can also learn more about her books.

Fellow fantasy readers, if you like paranormal YA do pick up the Falling Under series. You can easily find both books in the series in your favorite books stores.

4 comments

  1. Great interview!

    I have the first book in my TBR pile and I love the covers to this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will there be a sequel to dreaming Awake???? Also that a series was extremely good.... please please please tell me you will make falling under a trilogy.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi mm please make falling under a trilogy... I mean the ending in dreaming Awake was greAt but it major fans such as myself would like to know bow theia is coinciding queen and is Mara really gone. Also, what about Haden... does he miss the human realm... as you can see a trilogy could and would be great or even a bonus chapter that takes place three yeArs after the ordeal..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.