Why We Broke Up Project

I heard of the novel Why We Broke Up many months ago and I got very excited after reading the synopsis because it sounds like my kind of contemporary YA read, in the same vein The Duff and Two-Way Street. Here's it is:

book cover
I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing it in this letter, the whole truth of why it happened.

Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped.

Why We Broke Up
is written by Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket) and, admittedly, I wasn't a fan of the Unfortunate Events series or his writing style style, but I still want to read this book anyway because I really like the premise. It's one of those illustrated books as well (by Maira Kalman), which I really like.

Anyway, in honor of the upcoming release of this novel, LBYR has put together the Why We Broke Up Project in which they are inviting everyone to share their breakup story.

Click on the banner above (or HERE) to check out the tumblr site. There you can share your own breakup story in the hopes that "our collective heartbreak will reach critical mass, and never bother us again" as well as read other people's breakup stories.

Some of the stories are sad while others are reflective. Some are one one liners that say so much. You can also read the breakup stories of authors Neil Gaiman, David Levithan, Sara Shepard and others.

3 comments

  1. Interesting. I had no idea it was by that author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED LOVED LOVED The Series of Unfortunate Events books, and I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this book now just because I want to see how Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket) does at writing a book so different from what I know him for. I always love when authors I like do really diverse types of books.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.