Friday, December 16, 2011

book cover ARC: 422 pages
Publisher: Macmillan
Release Date: August 30, 2011
ISBN: 9780312656270

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: 2nd in Halo series
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Heaven Help Her.
Bethany Church is an angel sent to Earth to keep dark forces at bay. Falling in love was never part of her mission, but the bond between Beth and her mortal boyfriend, Xavier Woods, is undeniably strong. But even Xavier’s love, and the care of her archangel siblings, Gabriel and Ivy, can’t keep Beth from being tricked into a motorcycle ride that ends up in Hell. There, the demon Jake Thorn bargains for Beth’s release back to Earth. But what he asks of her will destroy her, and quite possibly, her loved ones, as well. The story that Alexandra Adornetto built in her New York Times-bestselling debut, Halo, comes alive in action-packed and unexpected ways, as angels battle demons, and the power of love is put to the test.


Leslie's Review:
I would like to say right now that I actually enjoyed Hades more than I did Halo. This is mostly because the little things that bothered me in Halo were better executed in Hades, which made the book all the more enjoyable for me to read. Yet, there was something that bothered me in Hades that I had hoped would get better in Halo and that was Beth's naïveté.

When I read Halo, I got to know Beth as a character very well. I admired her curiosity, her loyalty to all her loved ones, how loving and caring she was, and how she had such a warm heart. But one thing I didn't quite like about her character was that she can be quite gullible. Still, I shrugged it off thinking it was only the first book of the series and that Beth was an angel sent on her first mission from Heaven to Earth so she was bound to act a bit carelessly and grow out of it. I hoped that in the next book she will change and will act more responsible. Although Beth did change, she was still her gullible self. This may be because she was in another new place, an unknown territory, but I couldn't help but think throughout the book that the mishaps she got herself into could have been avoided. Seeing Beth continuously get in trouble both worried me and frustrated me and I wished every time that Beth hadn't done whatever she did to get herself into them.

I mentioned in my review for Halo that I thought the plot was prolonged and stretched unnecessarily and that I wished there had been more excitement throughout the story. Hades was definitely more exciting. Despite the careless mishaps Beth would get into, those mishaps was one of the things that made the me like this book more because it made it more exciting and suspenseful because you always wonder if she'll get out of the bad situation she found herself in. I also loved different setting in Hades and I thought the author did well developing it. After I read that awesome cliffhanger ending, I just can't wait to read the next book of the series to see what will happen next.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading Hades. Despite that fact that I was somewhat annoyed with Beth, it was a good book nonetheless. If you haven't yet checked out this series, please do, or if you read Halo and it didn't grab you, give Hades a chance. I think this series will satisfy fans of of the paranormal YA sub-genre, especially angel fans.

1 comment:

  1. I just got Halo has a Christmas present so I'm excited to dive into the story. Several people seem to be on the fence about this series though. I will have to remember that even if I'm not in love with Halo to finish it and give Hades a chance.

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.