Cherry's Review: Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (Guest Review)

book cover ARC: 423 pages
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Release Date: September 20, 2011
ISBN: 9780062026484

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: Fire & Thorns #1
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Princess Elisa is a disappointment to her people. Although she bears the Godstone in her navel, a sign that she has been chosen for an act of heroism, they see her as lazy and useless and fat.
On her sixteenth birthday, she is bartered off in royal marriage and shipped away to a kingdom in turmoil, where her much-older and extremely beautiful husband refuses to acknowledge her as his wife. Devastated, Elisa decides to take charge of her fate and learn what it means to bear the Godstone. As an invading army threatens to destroy her new home, and everyone at court maneuvers to take advantage of the young princess, Elisa becomes convinced that, not only is her own life in danger, the whole world needs saving. But how can a young girl who has never ridden horseback, never played the game of politics, and never attained the love of a man save the world? Elisa can't be sure, but she must try to uncover the Godstone's secret history before the enemy steals the destiny nestled in her core.


Cherry's Review:
This review has been long overdue but I can still recall scenes of the book with the same clarity as I did when I first read it. The ARC cover is truly misleading because here I thought we were going to have a beautiful heroine and a cool setting as the blue moon in the cover. What I found instead was an overweight, self-doubting girl in a hot desert destined for a greatness she could never have foreseen despite knowing that it was coming. It was a refreshing read and something I would never have chosen to read on my own. Even though Elisa was destined for greatness, it was not given to her on a silver platter. She prayed, endured, fought, and used her quick wit to overcome many obstacles that I never expected she could do. She was not the same girl that she was in the beginning of the book, and people should've trusted that she COULD and WOULD overcome these obstacles instead of protecting her the way they did. The author created a world that was familiar yet different. However, it wasn't a hard setting to imagine. The plot was the same as well. It was a story so different than what I've know. It was easy to follow but its ending was hard to predict because there were a lot of surprises in between. Its a different kind of heroine story that caught me by surprise as to how much I enjoyed it. I can't wait for the next book!

This review was written by my roommate Cherry. I was always complaining to telling her about school being the time suck that it was and I have this growing stack of review books I barely had time to read, let alone review and blah, blah, blah... and, well, she very nicely offered to read a few of my books and review them. Thanks Cherry! You're the best!! Check out her blog Hawaii on a Budget where she talks about eating good in Hawaii on a budget and shares recipes as well.

2 comments

  1. Great review! Sounds like Elisa is a heroine we can really root for -- our favorite kind. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that this one turned out to be a different read. Lately, YA has all become cookie cutter and it is getting harder to find something that is amazing and stands above the rest. I can't wait to read this one and hopefully get a taste of something fresh and new in YA.

    Thanks for the great review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.