Leslie's Review: Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

book cover ARC: 484 pages
Publisher: MacMillan
Release Date: August 31, 2010
ISBN: 9780312656263

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: 1st book in series
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Three angels – Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, the youngest and most human – are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness. They must work hard to conceal their luminous glow, superhuman powers, and, most dangerous of all, their wings, all the while avoiding all human attachments. Then Bethany meets Xavier Woods, and neither of them is able to resist the attraction between them. Gabriel and Ivy do everything in their power to intervene, but the bond between Xavier and Bethany seems too strong. The angel’s mission is urgent, and dark forces are threatening. Will love ruin Bethany or save her?


Leslie's Review:
I began reading this book feeling apprehensive because of the mix reviews I've read of it and how it has been frequently compared to Twilight, which I didn't quite enjoy as much as I wished I had. But I finally decided to read it and I ended up liking it, though I did have a few minor issues with it. I am even now reading--and so far liking--the second book of the series, Hades.

First, I really liked the writing style of the author Alexandra Adornetto. I loved how it was so vivid and descriptive and how she narrated Bethany's thoughtful, innocent voice so well. And because the writing was so vivid I was able to connect with the main characters Bethany, Gabriel, Ivy and Xavier so much that I was talking to Bethany and visiting new friends instead of just characters. The book also made for an interesting read because I come from a strict religious household and their were a few Biblical references in this book (though nothing really religious, just references).

The plot was good and better than I initially expected it to have been. I enjoyed reading it and because it was so stretched out throughout the book, the world and characters gradually and easily developed in my mind of imagination. But the other hand, I didn't really like how it made the story dragged at some points and the climax only came about 20 pages before the ending. Even the resolution of the book was stretched and dragged unnecessarily in the last few pages. I wish that there had been more build-up of suspense towards the climax. The story also ended with a cliffhanger ending. But, again, the plot was great overall.

Fans of Twilight and Hush, Hush will definitely love this book but I recommend to everyone who loves YA paranormal. Read it for Ms. Adornetto's illustrative writing and vivid characters. Despite the fact that the plot of this book dragged at times, I enjoyed it and so far I'm enjoying the second book Hades as well. I am planning to follow this series. I know she wrote this series when she was in her teens--I think she is still growing as a writer and and I look forward to what Ms. Adornetto will come up with next after the conclusion of this series.

2 comments

  1. I bought this one when it first came out and have as yet not read it. I think I put it aside because I read some many disparaging reviews. Good to know that it was enjoyed enough to read book two. I will pick it up soon. Great review Leslie.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.