Leslie's Review: Damage by Anya Parrish

damage Paperback: 272 pages
Publisher: Flux
Release Date: September 8, 2011
ISBN: 978-0738727004

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: possibly
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
There was a time when I prayed for Rachel to be real. Until the night I learned she'd always planned to kill me.
When Dani was eight, she fell from a building. No one believed her claim that she was pushed by Rachel . . . her imaginary friend. It took years of therapy to convince Dani that Rachel wasn't real. Now fifteen, Dani wants to make it as a dancer. But a deadly freak accident sends Dani a terrifying message: Rachel is back, she's real, and she'll stop at nothing to kill Dani. Complicating matters is Jesse, the school bad boy who's being stalked by his own invisible childhood nemesis. Dani and Jesse join forces to learn why their astral tormenters are back. Their investigation leads to a horrifying discovery—and the terrible experiment that binds them to each other.


Leslie's Review:
Honestly, I'm the kind of person who gets frightened easily so I try to stay clear of books that revolves around psychotic characters or any kind of paranoia for that matter. So, when I first looked at the cover of Damage and read the synopsis, I was really nervous. But it's been awhile since I've read a scary book so I decided to just jump in and read. Now that I finished the book, I have to say it wasn't what I expected but it was a really good read.

The whole storyline of Damage happened over about a 24-hour time period and within it was a very thrilling, suspenseful and unpredictable plot. First of all, I liked how the story kept me guessing--and guessing wrong for that matter--and interested to the very last page. The book ended in a cliffhanger that left me nervous but still excited. I'm not sure if there will be a sequel though but if one is in the works, I would love to read it. But as thrilling and interesting as the book was, I couldn't help but feel at some points like I was on a raging roller coaster ride and I wanted to get off. The plot just took too many unexpected turns that I grew impatient and wish for it to head in one direction already.

Like I said, I can get easily frightened so I was a bit nervous when I first began reading this book. But as it turns out the book wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. The plot was mostly of Jesse and Dani trying to find a way to protect and rid themselves of their homicidal imaginary "friends". Though I have to admit, when they were getting attacked by such imaginary "friends" the scenes would get very gruesome that I thought it shocking a person, fictional or not, could handle experiencing all of that in one day, let alone throughout their childhood. But those scenes were still readable and tolerable and they showed me what strong, brave and persevering characters Jesse and Dani are, which I really liked about them.

What I also didn't expect was how the romance of the book was sort of developed already before the story started and honestly at first I wish it hadn't been so. I usually like the romance of a book to be slow and developed over the course of the story. As I continued reading, however, the romance eventually balanced out with the suspense of the plot. Moreover, I rooted for Jesse and Dani and for them to be together without having to be afraid all the time.

Overall, I have to admit that I'm happy that I got to read Damage because it turned out to be a great read full of suspense, thrill and strong characters. If there is to be a sequel for this book, I would love to read it and see what happens to Jesse and Dani after that cliffhanger ending. Debut author Anya Parrish is an author to look out for in the future and I highly recommend everyone to read her first book Damage. You won't be sorry!

3 comments

  1. I think I'm going to have to give this a try. The cover does look pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of it, but I'm sold to give it a try, thanks for review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't heard of it either, but the cover is awesome. Love that it kept you guessing, so I'm adding this to the tbr. Thanks Leslie.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.