Michelle's Review: After Obsession by Carrie Jones and Steven Wedel

book cover art ARC: 307 pages (Hardcover: 320 pages)
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Release Date: September 13, 2011
ISBN: 9781599906812

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: none
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Aimee and Alan have secrets. Both teens have unusual pasts and abilities they prefer to keep hidden. But when they meet each other, in a cold Maine town, they can't stop their secrets from spilling out. Strange things have been happening lately, and they both feel that something-or someone- is haunting them. They're wrong. Despite their unusual history and powers, it's neither Aimee nor Alan who is truly haunted. It's Alan's cousin Courtney who, in a desperate plea to find her missing father, has invited a demon into her life-and into her body. Only together can Aimee and Alan exorcise the ghost. And they have to move quickly, before it devours not just Courtney but everything around her.
Filled with heart-pounding romance, paranormal activity, and rich teen characters to love-and introducing an exciting new YA voice, Steven Wedel-this novel is exactly what Carrie Jones fans have been waiting for. Meet your next obsession.


Michelle's Review:
I was really excited to start After Obession because 1) it's has a ghost/demon possession premise, 2) it's told in alternating perspective male and female main characters, and 3) Carrie Jones was on my list of authors whose books I've been meaning to check out. This novel turned out to be a very quick read--I've read it all in two days (which hasn't happened in the while since school started).

One of the things I did like about it was the character of Alan. His Native American background was interesting, he was sensible and practical and his character was just different in a good way. I though his character was better developed and it stood out more than Aimee's character. Nothing about Aimee really stood to me. She just your typical young adult paranormal female character with nothing to really distinguish her from the rest. Moreover, I wasn't feeling the romance between Aimee and Alan. The way Aimee broke off her relationship with her boyfriend and her feelings for Alan, things just happened too fast for it to be believable.

The story's pacing was fairly fast-paced and I was never bored while reading it. I really liked the alternating perspective and enjoyed reading what Alan and Aimee were thinking and how they felt. I also liked the premise of two special teens with unique gifts having to fight a demon who not only was possessing Courtney, Aimee's best friend and Alan's cousin, but was also basically infecting the whole town with its evil. Despite that, the execution wasn't as solid and the writing, overall, had an uninspired, mainstream quality about it that I wasn't a fan of.

The last fourth of the book was especially exciting and that was when the characters, the plot and substance of the novel finally came together for me. I really liked how the authors ended the novel. I had some issues with After Obsession but for the most part I would liken this novel to an ABC Family movie--it's fairly entertaining, enjoyable and a quick read.

5 comments

  1. I've heard a few mixed things about this book so far, but it's still on my wishlist - probably just because, like you, I finally want to read something by Carrie Jones. :D

    Thanks for sharing your opinion with us,
    Carina @ Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really interested in reading this book! I've read Carrie Jones 'Need' series, and really liked it. Our library has this on order, so maybe I can check it out soon! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I like that it took both of us to read it in two days and we both posted our reviews on the same day!

    I pretty much agree with everything you said. It was quick read and the alternating perspectives kept it interesting but "meh" towards everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed this book. I keep reading mixed reviews about it. I haven't decided if I am going to read it or not yet. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I've seen this book around but wasn't really sure it was my thing. You've changed my mind, this is going on my list. Thanks for the review! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.