Leslie's Review: The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

thetruthaboutforever Paperback: 374 pages
Publisher: Penguin
Release Date: May 1, 2004
ISBN: 978-0142406250

Source of my copy: bought
Series: none
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Sixteen-year-old Macy Queen is looking forward to a long, boring summer. Her boyfriend is going away. She's stuck with a dull-as-dishwater job at the library. And she'll spend all of her free time studying for the SATs or grieving silently with her mother over her father's recent unexpected death. But everything changes when Macy is corralled into helping out at one of her mother's open house events, and she meets the chaotic Wish Catering crew. Before long, Macy joins the Wish team. She loves everything about the work and the people. But the best thing about Wish is Wes—artistic, insightful, and understanding Wes—who gets Macy to look at life in a whole new way, and really start living it.


Leslie's Review:
I've been wanting to read this book ever since I discovered it on Goodreads several months ago and from what buzz I've heard about Sarah Dessen, I had really high hopes and expectations for it. So now that I've finally read it, I'm happy to say that all of my hopes and expectations were completely met that I just had to write a rave review about it on our blog.

Before I go crazy over how awesome The Truth About Forever was, I am going to say right off the bat that this book deserves a 5 out of 5 stars. It was just so good. This book isn't my first by Sarah Dessen--way back in the seventh grade I read Ms. Dessen's Someone Like You but it didn't really make an impression on me and that's probably why I didn't pick up another book by her until now. But after reading this The Truth About Forever, I can't wait to read more by Ms. Dessen. Right now she is up there on my favorite-authors-list along with J.K Rowling and Stephanie Perkins. Yup, that's how much this book made an impression on me and how much I loved it.

The Truth About Forever was beautiful, engrossing, lovely and honest. I loved how everything (the setting, the characters and the moods of the plot) were so vivid and real. Macy, the main character, was truly a great heroine whom I enjoyed reading about and connecting with. Many times throughout the book I literally wanted to reach out and comfort her or laugh with her or even just to play the Truth game with her. Wes, Macy's love interest, was an equally amazing character. Wes was a gifted artist who was also quiet and modest and in the beginning, it was hard for me to get to know him. But throughout the course of the book and through his and Macy's game of Truth, my heart eventually warmed up to him. I enjoyed reading about how his and Macy's friendship grew into something more. I also liked the plot between Macy, her mom and her sister Caroline. What they experienced, felt and said to each other was so true and realistic that as I read those scenes in the book, it was like I was literally standing there with them and watching it unfold before me. Ms. Dessen's writing was vivid, descriptive and just amazing. I hope I can be as talented as a writer like her one day.

The Truth About Forever left me stunned and breathless with its real-life characters and wonderful plot. I absolutely LOVED this book. It is a MUST-READ. If you haven't read it yet, head straight to your nearest library and get it. Or, better yet, head to a bookstore you're going to want this on your bookshelf so you can re-read or revisit favorite scenes whenever you want.

******
I definitely want to read more Sarah Dessen books. Fortunately, I have Lock and Key and Along for the Ride on my shelf. Which one do you recommend I read next?

6 comments

  1. It's not on your list but This Lullaby is my favorite Dessen so I must recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I LOVE The Truth About Forever. Awesome review! Now I really want to reread it, haha.

    And I haven't read Lock and Key but I really enjoyed Along for the Ride. Truth About Forever is definitely my fave though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this! Great review. I have only read one Sarah Dessen book (don't judge) and it was fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this book. It's my favorite SD book (if not my favorite YA book, that changes with the wind but this book has been on top more often than not). Absolutely loved this book. The whole relationship that blossomed between Wes and Macy is one of my absolute favorites. The transition from friends to more than friends was too cute for words.

    I adored both Lock and Key and Along for the Ride but my vote for what you should read next is Along for the Ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the few Sarah Dessen books that I haven't read yet, and I'm dying to get to it! So glad you enjoyed it! (Along for the Ride is my favorite book of hers so far!) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not agree more. This was my first and favorite Dessen read (though I adore her and all her books). It was so touching and the characters were so real and human and they made mistakes but they also got their HEA =D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.