Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Book Michelle Covets: The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 with
Why Michelle covets this book: I love the premise of this book. It just sounds so lovely and magical and heartbreaking. I also like that it's set in Alaska in the 1920s.


book cover artThe Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
(out February 1, 2012)
Alaska, 1920: a brutal place to homestead, and especially tough for recent arrivals Jack and Mabel. Childless, they are drifting apart--he breaking under the weight of the work of the farm; she crumbling from loneliness and despair. In a moment of levity during the season's first snowfall, they build a child out of snow. The next morning the snow child is gone--but they glimpse a young, blonde-haired girl running through the trees.

This little girl, who calls herself Faina, seems to be a child of the woods. She hunts with a red fox at her side, skims lightly across the snow, and somehow survives alone in the Alaskan wilderness. As Jack and Mabel struggle to understand this child who could have stepped from the pages of a fairy tale, they come to love her as their own daughter. But in this beautiful, violent place things are rarely as they appear, and what they eventually learn about Faina will transform all of them.

For more info and to read an excerpt of The Snow Child, visit the author's website. Click on the cover to go to the book's Goodreads page.



What book(s) do you "covet" this week?
Leave a comment with a link so we can check your WoW of the week too.


"Books I Covet" is a weekly or bi-weekly blog post series I am going to be doing here.
It will feature books I am very excited about reading and plan on buying/borrowing in the near future. It is similar to the "Waiting On" meme hosted by Jill of Breaking the Spine. However, some of the books may already be published and others may still be in pre-order. I will include the books' blurb, cover art, and/or release date if they're available. Click on the WoW image on the left to join in!

14 comments:

  1. Ughhh, books about winter...not sure if I can handle that yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I totally want to read The Snow Child. Thanks for stopping by:)
    ~Rebecca
    www.bendingthespine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! This seems pretty interesting. It's not really my type of book, but nonetheless I am intrigued. Nice choice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love it. It makes me think of a movie that's coming out with a similar premise (two people who desperately want a child and then one appears) "The Odd Life of Timothy Green."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting! It's different from what I have been reading lately, but sounds like a good story.
    Thanks for visiting my WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by. This sounds good and I like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, how intriguing! I love the concept of this book, haven't read anything like it. It almost sounds a little creepy, but definitely a TBR kind of book. I'm adding it to my wishlist now!

    My WoW

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks really great! totally need to find out more...thanks and great WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds so interesting! I love the idea that the girl hunts with a red fox by her side, because I'm a huge lover of wild animals and a fox would make an amazing companion! :)

    Awesome pick for your WOW, Michelle! Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comment on my WoW! I love your pick! Not heard of it before but it sounds really magical and intriguing. Also *love* the cover! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great choice. This one is new to me but it definitely sounds fascinating. It sounds like it could almost be similar to Breadcrumbs with the wintery setting and magical atmosphere.

    Donna @ The Happy Booker

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this one looks really interesting...one to pull at the heart-strings, I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds pretty interesting, and really like the cover!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.