Top Ten Tuesday: Underrated Books

toptentuesday
"Top Ten Tuesday" is a weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. There is a new Top Ten list topic every week and this week is underrated books. So, here's our top ten picks in no particular order:

1. The Sweetness of Salt by Cecilia Galante
A story about two estranged sisters, family secrets and baking set in a small town in Vermont. This novel also proves that a girl and a hot guy can develop a genuine friendship without any romantic feelings.

allthatstrue2. All That's True by Jackie Lee Miles
This is one of the best books I've read this year. If you're looking for a main character with a great voice, Andi is your girl. She's a mix of wit, innocence and humor. The story just sucks you in--I was so sad my time with her was over when I read the last page.

3. I Now Pronounce You Someone Else by Erin McCahan
I loved the author's writing style. I loved the growth in the main character Bronwen. The romance between her and Jared was sweet but it's not your usual happy-ever-after. The ending was unexpected but it fits. Love this story about love, family and growing up.

4. Good Girls by Laura Ruby
Good girl Audrey became the school social pariah after someone took a picture of her at a party having oral sex and is labeled a slut. But Audrey keeps it together and grows stronger through her ordeal. It's a book that will make you think about teen sexuality, labels, pressures of being a "good girl," double standards between girls and guys and many more.

goodgirls5. Bloodthirsty by Flynn Meaney
Don't let the cover fool you into not picking up this book. It's a story about a boy who decided to become a vampire to get girls. It's sarcastically hilarious with fun pop-references, there wasn't a book I didn't laugh more than I did while reading this contemporary YA.

6. The Devlin Diary by Christi Phillips
With two parallel story lines, the story goes back and forth between present day and Restoration-era London. Great female characters, a compelling mystery and with rich historical details, I was sad that the story had to end.

7. Instructions for a Broken Heart by Kim Culbertson (Leslie's recommendation)
Kim Culbertson is an amazing writer. Instructions is a coming of age story set in beautiful Italy. I love the main character Jessa and the soul-searching that she does in the story.

8. Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells (Leslie's recommendation)
The romance between Mia and Simon is so sweet--I love that they fell in love gradually and it's genuine love. Both were great characters and I really like the writing too. It's the perfect summer beach read.

entwined9. Dairy Queen by Cathrine Gilbert Murdock
DJ is one of my all-time favorite YA character of all time. I loved her voice--she's funny, witty and so down-to-earth. It's also a great story about family and their dysfunctions. Excellent contemporary young adult.

10. Entwined by Heather Dixon (Leslie's recommendation)
This one came out earlier this year and I wish it garnered more attention (besides for its beautiful cover) than it did. This book has everything I love in my novels: a suspenseful plot, amazing characters and a sweet romance. Reading this book is like watching a movie for me--this is how a fairy tale retelling should be like.

We've been stalking this meme for a while but this is our first time participating. It's fun! We love highlighting books we love. Thanks to The Broke and the Bookish for this awesome meme.

13 comments

  1. YES, we totally agree about Entwined!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, we are doing the mind meld. I have Dairy Queen on my list, too. I love, love the series!!!!

    Anne
    My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover of Entwined ... and the people who have read it seem to like it. Will definitely check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog/ New Follower

    Great choices, I've read Entwined and that's it off your list but I am interested in All thats True and the Skinny Dipping one. Thansk for the recs.

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of these. I really need to start reading more of the underdog books and bringing them to light. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

    Here's my Top Ten: http://bit.ly/qqOf7F

    ReplyDelete
  6. Entwined is definitely a really awesome book! I loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dairy Queen was a very popular book when it came out some years back. Somehow I missed reading it....

    Here's my Top Ten post for this week: Top Ten Underappreciated Books
    And don't forget to stop in and sign up to win in the Readerbuzz August Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have The Summer of Skinny Dipping on my ereader and am looking forward to reading it. I've also been wanting to read Bloodthirsty, which I think I had first heard about here. The other books I'm not familiar with but I'll definitely have to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I'm trying to pick one book from everyone's top ten today. No question I've got to try Bloodthirsty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore all the Dairy Queen books. Love DJ. I've been wanting to read Entwined.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another cheer for DJ! Love that girl, she's so awesome. OOh and I love the sound of The Sweetness of Salt, sounds like a great premise :) great list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.