Monday, August 8, 2011

wildefire ARC: 393 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Release Date: July 26, 2011
ISBN: 9781442421193

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: 1st book in the series
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Every flame begins with a spark.
Ashline Wilde is having a rough sophomore year. She’s struggling to find her place as the only Polynesian girl in school, her boyfriend just cheated on her, and now her runaway sister, Eve, has decided to barge back into her life. When Eve’s violent behavior escalates and she does the unthinkable, Ash transfers to a remote private school nestled in California’s redwoods, hoping to put the tragedy behind her. But her fresh start at Blackwood Academy doesn’t go as planned. Just as Ash is beginning to enjoy the perks of her new school—being captain of the tennis team, a steamy romance with a hot, local park ranger—Ash discovers that a group of gods and goddesses have mysteriously enrolled at Blackwood…and she’s one of them. To make matters worse, Eve has resurfaced to haunt Ash, and she’s got some strange abilities of her own. With a war between the gods looming over campus, Ash must master the new fire smoldering within before she clashes with her sister one more time… And when warm and cold fronts collide, there’s guaranteed to be a storm.


Leslie's Review:
At first I was hesitant to read this book because the premise revolves around the myth of Polynesian gods and goddesses. Living in Hawaii, we learn all about that stuff in school so I know enough about Polynesian mythology that I was afraid what I find in the book wouldn't sound... authentic, I guess. But Karsten Knight, the author of Wildefire, proved me wrong. He wrote an awesome debut novel that left me speechless.

I really like Mr. Knight's writing style. He writes in a clear, straightforward prose that made the story all the more enjoyable to read. The plot was thrilling, intense, suspenseful, fast-paced and nothing that I expected it to be. When I reached the ending, I was completely blown away and I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next book--especially since Mr. Knight left me oh-so unsatisfied (in a good way) with his cliffhanger.

The characters, though, was the icing on the cake for me. I love my tough, kick-butt characters and if they have super powers--even better. They were all a bunch of tough, strong, stubborn and sarcastic teenagers with awesome powers and talents and I rooted these guys throughout. But the villains were awesome too, they were so bad but kick-ass as well. No matter what the characters' intentions were, I was completely impressed by all of them.

With its great writing, action-packed plot and fantastic characters, you can't go wrong with Wildefire. I recommend it to everyone who is craving for a roller-coaster kind of read. I'm really excited for the next book in the series. Wildefire was a fantastic debut and Karsten Knight is an author to watch out for. 5 out of 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Ooo, we were wondering what you guys would think of this one, since you have a bit more insight into the cultural background than most people would. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started this one last night. It is not what I was expecting either and I actually had to force myself to start reading it (ARC) but now I am so glad I did! I love it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! The characters MADE this book -- especially Ashline! I mean, from page one you know this girl is going to kick some serious BUTT! And that cliffhanger OMGGGGGG!! I can't wait for more of this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cliffhanger was amazing! Glad to hear that the Polynesian mythology is accurate since I know nothing about it; hopefully the second book will include even more of the mythology.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.