Thursday, August 25, 2011

alonglongsleep ARC: 342 pages
Publisher: Candlewick

Release Date: August 9, 2011
ISBN: 9780763652609

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: 1st in the series
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Rosalinda Fitzroy has been asleep for sixty-two years when she is woken by a kiss. Locked away in the chemically induced slumber of a stasis tube in a forgotten sub-basement, sixteen-year-old Rose slept straight through the Dark Times that killed millions and utterly changed the world she knew. Now her parents and her first love are long dead, and Rose -- hailed upon her awakening as the long-lost heir to an interplanetary empire -- is thrust alone into a future in which she is viewed as either a freak or a threat. Desperate to put the past behind her and adapt to her new world, Rose finds herself drawn to the boy who kissed her awake, hoping that he can help her to start fresh. But when a deadly danger jeopardizes her fragile new existance, Rose must face the ghosts of her past with open eyes -- or be left without any future at all.


Leslie's Review:
I was super excited to read this book because a lot of great dystopians have been coming out lately. Also I was surprised when I found out that this book isn't just dystopian, it's also a retelling of the well-known fairy-tale Sleeping Beauty--fairy-tale retelling is my favorite sub-genre! So when I first began to read this book, I had pretty high expectations. But I'm happy to say that they were all well met and I can't wait to get my hands on the next book.

First, the plot was amazing. It was thrilling, exciting, suspenseful and a refreshing read. Debut author Anna Sheehan did a fantastic job building the futuristic world through Rose's eyes. Her writing was lovely, understandable and so descriptive that I would always get sucked in. The story became sort of my escape from the many stresses and dramas of high school.

Rose was an amazing character whom I connected to and loved getting to know throughout the book. In the beginning of the book, Rose was passive and quiet and her escape from her sudden life change was drawing sketches of the new people around her and the exquisite landscapes from her stasis dreams. Through those characteristics I was able to relate to Rose because I'm also a very passive and quiet person, though my escape is music and books (I'm not much of an artist like Rose). But because of that I wasn't sure if Rose would make a good heroine because I like my heroines to be the kick-butt and take charge type. As I continued to read, however, I watched Rose grow stronger, braver, more assertive and become the great heroine she was meant to be. I love watching characters in a book grow and change into a better person and Ms. Sheehan did a wonderful job developing Rose's character throughout A Long, Long Sleep. Another thing I really liked were these flashbacks of Rose's past (before she was went to her chemical sleep). Through those scenes we get to know her better and understand why she is who she is and the reason why she was in stasis for sixty-two years--it was really intriguing and fascinating to read.

Thankfully, this book didn't end with a crazy cliffhanger but ended with most loose ends tied. At the same time, it lets the reader know there will be a sequel. It's nice to close a book and not feel cheated by the ending. Yet, I am still very excited to read the sequel. A Long, Long Sleep is a brilliant debut by Ms. Sheehan--she is an author to look out for in the future. If you like to read dystopian or fairy tale retelling or want to read a different take on the Sleeping Beauty tale, I recommend you all pick this book up. You won't be disappointed. 4.5 out of 5 stars

6 comments:

  1. Dystopian AND a retelling? This sounds awesome! I love both dystopian and retellings so much, so definitely looking forward to reading this one. Good to hear you liked the main character - that's something that's really important to me in a book! Fab review, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book high on my wishlist and am very eager to read it myself. I'm really glad to see that you enjoyed it. It sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for this book. Looks interesting and not to mention the cover is beautiful. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe I had no idea this was a retelling until just now :P Great review I think Rose would be a character I would really like :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, this sounds brilliant! I am a new follower. :)

    When you have time, please check out my site in return. Thanks! :)
    http://bookhi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yey! So glad, I'm going to start this one ASAP now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.