Friday, August 5, 2011

FYI: Michael Grant and a New "Transmedia" Experience

Friday, August 5, 2011 with
Labels:
lovestoryI've heard a lot of great things about Michael Grant's Gone series and though I'm not a big science fiction reader it's always been at the back of my mind to someday read at least a book or two in the series just to see if I like it. I actually gave a copy of Gone, the first book in the series, to a non-reader friend last Christmas and she loved it, so how's that for a recommendation.

I recently received an email this week about a new series Michael Grant has coming out this winter where they're doing something a little different and it's going to be a different reading experience.
This winter, Michael has a new series coming out that was conceived not only as a book, but also as a “transmedia” experience. This may not be a familiar term to YA fans, but essentially a transmedia story is an interactive narrative told through the written word, video, puzzles, and more. But most importantly, it encourages fans to become part of the action.

I thought your readers would be interested in hearing about this new adventure that’s at the cutting edge of the digital publishing frontier. I don’t want to give away any spoilers, but our tale has just gotten underway at societytwins.com and nexushumanus.com. Keep in mind that these sites are just the beginning… the intrigue unfolds from here.
Needless to say, I am intrigued and excited... and confused.

I went to check out the Society Twins blog and it's two twin sisters, Sophie and Sylvie, blogging and vlogging about their brother Davis, who disappeared without a trace one day. It's hinted that the Nexus Humanus (which if you go to their website you learn is this creepy cult-ish group that's preaches all about "sustainable happiness" and world peace) may have something to do with it.

My interest is piqued and I have a lot of questions--I'm really excited for the story to unfold with Sophie, Sylvie, Davis and NH. This "transmedia" idea is really cool, I can't wait to see what else they come up with. It's definitely going to be a different reading experience once the book comes out because it's like you're interacting with the characters and such, which makes it all the more thrilling.

You all should definitely check out both websites and let me know what you think. If you already look at the sites, what do you think? Are you as intrigued as me? Happy Friday everyone! :)

3 comments:

  1. I just did a post on this same transmedia experience!

    Happy Friday :)
    http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about this new movement. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had started Gone a couple of weeks ago but didn't really get into it, though I'm curious to see what this new project is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.