Q&A with author Jessica Brody

Hi everyone! It's Leslie and I am so excited because we have Jessica Brody on our blog today answering our questions. I recently read her newest release My Life Undecided, which I really enjoyed (I will be posting my review of it later today). It's about a girl who starts a blog for other people to make her decisions for her, like what book she would read for English class and bigger decisions like who she'd date! Intrigued? Read on as we ask Jessica more about My Life Undecided.

Okay, without further ado, here is Jessica...
jessicabrody
Q: Hi Jessica! Welcome to our blog. Please tell us about the very first book/story you penned. How old were you when you wrote it and what happened to it?
A: Hi! Thanks for having me on your blog! Excited to be here. The very first story I wrote was in the second grade. It was called “The Kitty and the Puppy” and it was about, not surprisingly, a kitty and a puppy, who run away from home. Not the most creative title, I know. I even “published” it using cardboard, wallpaper and electrical tape! Here’s a photo.


Q: What gave you the idea for My Life Undecided? Was it inspired by an event or an accumulation of ideas through the years?
A: This book was definitely one of those “aha!” moments that I hear writers talk about. My husband and I were watching TV, an ad for a reality show came on and I said, “Wouldn’t it be cool if there was a reality show where you could vote on what the characters did. As in, “who they went out with?” or “Whether or not they forgave their backstabbing best friend.” Like American Idol meets The Hills. We both agreed although it would be cool, it wouldn’t be practical from a production standpoint since they shoot those reality shows months before they air. I was not deterred though. I said, “Fine, I’ll write it as a book,” and then marched up the stairs and in ten short minutes, wrote a page-long synopsis for what would become MY LIFE UNDECIDED and sent it to my editor. She wrote back right away saying that she loved it and the book was born!

Q: When you were fifteen years old, what was one of the biggest life decision you had to make? Did anyone help you make the decision? Was there a time when you put making a decision about your life into someone else's hands?
A: Great question! I have to think WAY back for this one. I think the biggest decision I had to make was whether or not to stay with my boyfriend. When I was a sophomore, I was dating a senior (how scandalous!) and he was going off to college the next year. So I was trying to decide whether or not stay with him and try to make it work. But I think he ended up kissing another girl at the end of the year, which made the decision pretty easy!

I’m not sure I ever put my decisions in someone else’s hands but I’ve always had a lot of supportive people around me and I’m constantly asking for their advice. Even today. My parents and husband are wonderful for that. I’m always bouncing ideas off of them and getting honest responses. But there have definitely been times when I wanted to just throw my hands in the air and have someone else take the wheel!

Q: Does your main character, Brooklyn, have a quirk that is entirely autobiographical? Is she or another character in the novel (possibly the cute-in-a-dorky-sort-of-way guy) inspired by a real-life person or persons?
A: Yes! Brian (the cute-in-a-dorky-sort-of-way guy) is actually somewhat inspired by a guy I dated my freshman year of high school. I kind of kept him in the back of my mind as I was writing the novel. And the weirdest thing about it is I hadn’t spoken to him since high school but for some odd reason, while I was in the middle of writing this book, he found me on Facebook and reached out. I think his ears were majorly burning!

Q: Are you working on a new story? Can you tell us a little about it?
A: Oh yeah! I just finished editing my next book, which will be out next summer. It’s called 52 REASONS TO HATE MY FATHER and it was recently optioned for film! Hoorah! It’s about a spoiled teen heiress, famous for her partygirl antics and tabloid headlines, who’s forced by her ever-absent mogul father to take on a different low-wage job every week for a year, if she wants any hope of receiving her trust fund. It was really fun to write.

And right now I’m working on the book after that which is the first in a new teen sci-fi trilogy called UNREMEMBERED. I can’t wait for this one either!

Thanks so much for the fun interview! I look forward to seeing it on your blog!

Thank you so much for stopping by our blog and answering my questions, Jessica! To learn more about My Life Undecided check out its website: http://mylifeundecided.com/. For more about Jessica's other books, read sneak peaks, watch book trailers and other fun stuff check out her website. You can also follow her on Twitter and Facebook.

I'll be posting my review later today but for now here's the cover, synopsis and book trailer of My Life Undecided:
mylifeundecided
PLEASE READ THIS! MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Okay, maybe that was a bit melodramatic, but I’m sorry, I’m feeling a bit melodramatic at the moment.

Here’s the deal. My name is Brooklyn Pierce, I’m fifteen years old, and I am decisionally challenged. Seriously, I can’t remember the last good decision I made. I can remember plenty of crappy ones though. Including that party I threw when my parents were out of town that accidentally burned down a model home. Yeah, not my finest moment, for sure.

But see, that’s why I started a blog. To enlist readers to make my decisions for me. That’s right. I gave up. Threw in the towel. I let someone else be the one to decide which book I read for English. Or whether or not I accepted an invitation to join the debate team from that cute-in-a-dorky-sort-of-way guy who gave me the Heimlich Maneuver in the cafeteria. (Note to self: Chew the melon before swallowing it.) I even let them decide who I dated!

Well, it turns out there are some things in life you simply can’t choose or have chosen for you—like who you fall in love with. And now everything’s more screwed up than ever.

But don’t take my word for it, read the book and decide for yourself. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll scream in frustration. Or maybe that’s just me. After all, it’s my life.

Wasn't that an awesome book trailer?! Don't forget to add My Life Undecided book on your wishlist or check it out in your favorite bookstore.

1 comment

  1. That really is a fantastic book trailer. The only problem is that I'm now disappointed that it's not an actual show, but it's probably only a matter of time. This sounds like a really cute book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.