Leslie's Review: A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young

huntress ARC: 268 pages
Publisher: Harper Collins

Release Date: June 21, 2011
ISBN: 9780062008244

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: 1st book in the series
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
We all want to be remembered. Charlotte's destiny is to be Forgotten...Charlotte’s best friend thinks Charlotte might be psychic. Her boyfriend thinks she’s cheating on him. But Charlotte knows what’s really wrong: She is one of the Forgotten, a kind of angel on earth, who feels the Need—a powerful, uncontrollable draw to help someone, usually a stranger. But Charlotte never wanted this responsibility. What she wants is to help her best friend, whose life is spiraling out of control. She wants to lie in her boyfriend's arms forever. But as the Need grows stronger, it begins to take a dangerous toll on Charlotte. And who she was, is, and will become--her mark on this earth, her very existence--is in jeopardy of disappearing completely. Charlotte will be forced to choose: Should she embrace her fate as a Forgotten, a fate that promises to rip her from the lives of those she loves forever? Or is she willing to fight against her destiny--no matter how dark the consequences.


Leslie's Review:
If you read the blurb of A Need So Beautiful, you would think that it's nothing you've ever read before in YA paranormal with angels--you would be right. When I began reading this book, I was instantly fascinated by Charlotte's powerful Need that controls her completely and was captivated by the fate of the Forgotten (which was Charlotte's destiny). With such an interestingly new take on angels, I couldn't wait to learn more about these Forgotten angels, to understand what the Need does to Charlotte and the people she's helping, and to find out what will happen to Charlotte when her destiny finally calls. The whole Need and Forgotten aspect involving angels was truly something I never encountered before and it made this novel a refreshing read.

But of course, the reader can only gather that information as the main character is discovering it herself and Charlotte spent most of the book denying her destiny. Whenever Charlotte learned more about the Forgotten she would get so stubborn and deny all of it, vowing to find a way around her horrible destiny. I'd probably feel the same way as Charlotte if put in her position but I was a bit frustrated with her. However, I did admire her for her strength, courage, and her gift of the Need even though she saw it more as a curse than a gift. Charlotte has a boyfriend, Harlin, who she's totally crazy about. Harlin himself is a rough and scruffy kind of guy--he owns a motorcycle, he dropped out his private school, has a job and living on his own--he has those bad boy qualities but he's good guy. I can see him as being swoon-worthy to a lot of girls but he's not my type of guy so I didn't fall for him. I thought their romance was a little melodramatic but those who love their romance in their young adult read will definitely love Charlotte and Harlin.

The novel ended in an inevitable cliffhanger and I can't wait to return to Charlotte's world and read what will happen next in A Want So Wicked (the next book in the series). A Need So Beautiful is truly a compelling read with its exciting plot, unique and refreshing take on angels and an ending that left me wanting more. Ms. Young needs to write faster because I want the sequel NOW. 4 out of 5 stars

6 comments

  1. great review! I can't wait to read this, now more then ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, we've been hearing a lot of great stuff about this book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harlin? Cool, interesting name. And a motorcyle-man, you say? I'm intrigued.

    But, more intriguing is this new aspect on angels that you mentioned. I've read so many angel books, that I'm excited that this one is refreshing in comparison.

    Random, but I'm loving the titles--A Need So Beautiful, A Want So Wicked. Fabulous stuff.

    ~ Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting on my blog! I stopped by to check out yours, and I love it! Great review as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I have only read a few angel books and found that I either loved them of or hated them this one sounds like one I would like. It also sounds as if the title is well chosen. Great review Leslie will have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked it! I'm feeling the same way and can't wait for A Want So Wicked. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.