Thursday, July 14, 2011

huntress ARC: 296 pages
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, Giroux

Release Date: June 7, 2011
ISBN: 9780374399054

Source of my copy: publisher
Series: none
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
PLEASE READ THIS! MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!
Okay, maybe that was a bit melodramatic, but I’m sorry, I’m feeling a bit melodramatic at the moment. Here’s the deal. My name is Brooklyn Pierce, I’m fifteen years old, and I am decisionally challenged. Seriously, I can’t remember the last good decision I made. I can remember plenty of crappy ones though. Including that party I threw when my parents were out of town that accidentally burned down a model home. Yeah, not my finest moment, for sure. But see, that’s why I started a blog. To enlist readers to make my decisions for me. That’s right. I gave up. Threw in the towel. I let someone else be the one to decide which book I read for English. Or whether or not I accepted an invitation to join the debate team from that cute-in-a-dorky-sort-of-way guy who gave me the Heimlich Maneuver in the cafeteria. (Note to self: Chew the melon before swallowing it.) I even let them decide who I dated! Well, it turns out there are some things in life you simply can’t choose or have chosen for you—like who you fall in love with. And now everything’s more screwed up than ever. But don’t take my word for it, read the book and decide for yourself. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll scream in frustration. Or maybe that’s just me. After all, it’s my life.


Leslie's Review:
I've never read a book by Jessica Brody before but when I read the synopsis of My Life Undecided, I was super excited to read it. Asking people to make my decisions for me was sort of a fantasy of mine so I wanted to see how the story will play out. I found My Life Undecided to be an enjoyable and entertaining read that I just couldn't put it down. I laughed at Brooklyn's embarrassing mishaps and in my head I began to sound like my mom telling Brooklyn "I told you so" whenever she made the wrong decision once again and screwed things up for herself even more. But I was frustrated with the way she was unable to make a decision for herself and I wanted to reach in and grab hold of Brooklyn to shake some common sense into her. Nevertheless I thought Brooklyn was fun-loving and witty throughout the book. I enjoyed reading about her and her life. By the time I reached the end of the book, I had grown to love her and was a bit sad to leave her. She had grown into herself so much.

One of the reasons why I was so eager to read this book was because I was hoping that it will make me feel better about making decisions. I'm the opposite of Brooklyn--when making big decisions I think and rethink everything. I'm always afraid of choosing the wrong thing, messing things up for myself and having people reprimand me for not choosing right. Heck, I'm scared of making mistakes period (I'm a perfectionist). Reading about Brooklyn made me realize that it's okay to make mistakes, it's okay to make the wrong decisions sometimes because that's the only way to learn from your mistakes and how to make things right. Reading this book made me feel glad--it's a feel-good kind of book for me.

Pick up My Life Undecided. It's an enjoyable, feel-good read with great writing. It has humor, a great character in Brooklyn, a cute romance with a cute-in-a-dorky-sort-of-way-guy (Brian is just my kind of guy!) and lots of heart. 4 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I've not heard of this book before, but it sounds really good! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good. I love the cover and the synopsis of it. I really haven't heard a lot of this book, but now I'm adding it to the tbr list. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.