Tuesday, June 21, 2011

egray ARC: 211 pages
Publisher: Scholastic

Release Date: May 1, 2011
ISBN:
9780545317016
Source of my copy: publisher
Synopsis: (from Goodreads)

In a terrifying future world, four girls must depend on each other if they want to survive. Louisa is nervous about being sent away to a boarding school -- but she’s excited, too. And she has her best friend, Maddie, to keep her company. The girls have to pretend to be twin sisters, which Louisa thinks just adds to the adventure! Country Manor School isn’t all excitement, though. Louisa isn’t sure how she feels about her new roommates: athletic but snobby Rosie and everything’s-a-conspiracy Evelyn. Even Maddie seems different away from home, quiet and worried all the time. Still, Louisa loves CMS -- the survival skills classes, the fresh air. She doesn’t even miss not having a TV, or the internet, or any contact with home. It’s for their own safety, after all. Or is it?

Leslie's Review:
I've never read a dystopian middle grade before so I was curious to see the difference between it and the ones written for young adults. I am happy to say that Tomorrow Girls: Behind the Gates is pretty good. The plot grabbed my interest and we meet great characters that the middle grade set will love.

The story was set in futuristic America where a terrible and deadly War currently going on. The girls are sent to a all-girl boarding school that may have a hidden agenda planned for its students. Something fishy is going on and the girls are determined to find out what the boarding is hiding. The plot was exciting with an great climax and a cliffhanger ending. The cliffhanger ending left me curious enough that I had to read the included preview of the second book which left me even more curious. The characters were the best part of the novel. I also really liked how even though the book was in first-person point of view through Louisa I was still able to get to know the three other girls--Maddie, Evelyn and Rosie. All four girls were well-developed and readers can find a girl from the four they can relate to. Or maybe like me I saw a little of myself in all of them.

This book was a quick read for me but I feel like I'm a little too old for this novel. However, younger readers from third grade to sixth grade will enjoy this dystopian. 3.75 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds interesting and I am always on the look out for more middle school dystopian novels. I will have to check this one out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.