Leslie's Review: Girl Wonder by Alexa Martin

amartin ARC: 292 pages
Publisher: Hyperion

Release Date: May 3, 2011
ISBN:
9781423121350
Source of my copy: publisher
Synopsis: (from Goodreads)

As if transferring senior year weren't hard enough, Charlotte Locke has been bumped to lower level classes at her new school. With no friends, a terrible math SAT score, and looming college application deadlines, the future is starting to seem like an oncoming train for which she has no ticket. Then Amanda enters her orbit like a hot-pink meteor, offering Charlotte a ticket to something else: popularity. Amanda is fearless, beautiful, brilliant, and rich. As her new side kick, Charlotte is brought into the elite clique of the debate team—and closer to Neal, Amanda's equally brilliant friend and the most perfect boy Charlotte has ever seen. But just when senior year is looking up, Charlotte’s life starts to crumble. The more things heat up between Charlotte and Neal, the more Neal wants to hide their relationship. Is he ashamed? Meanwhile, Amanda is starting to act strangely competitive, and she's keeping a secret Charlotte doesn't want to know. Talented newcomer Alexa Martin delivers a poignant story of first love, jealousy and friendship, where the ups and downs of senior year have never been so complicated. What else can Charlotte do but throw her hands up and ride?

Leslie's Review:
This book was truly an interesting and enjoyable read for me. With the many complications that Charlotte had to face all throughout the book and how she overcame them had really brought me to think of things in a new light. Yet despite how crazy and dramatic Charlotte's life would get, the book was a quick, easy read with realistic characters, an appealing plot and great writing.

Throughout the book, the plot was well-paced and enjoyable until the very end.
But to be honest, I ended up not relating or connecting with any of the characters in Girl Wonder because they were all either thoughtless teenagers or just plain weird to me. All of their personalities and actions were very different from mine but I couldn't help but end up liking them all a bit anyway because they were all real enough to me that I could imagine them as actual people from my school. Out of all the characters, though, I ended up liking Charlotte the most out of all of them. Charlotte went through a lot in the book but she dealt with her problems in ways I wouldn't even imagine of doing. Things went from bad to worst because of her bad decisions. I had the urge to reach inside of the book and shake some sense into her a couple of times. But still, I ended up rooting for her anyway because I knew that she meant well and was dealing with her problems the only way she knew how at the time. It's easy to look at her and judge that she's making bad decisions but if I'm put in a similar situation as her, I don't know how I'll act. But all the bad catches up with her and she must set things to right. And when I finally reached the end, I was glad and proud of Charlotte for growing up, becoming the stronger and better person she was meant to be. Charlotte was very different from me but I grew to really like her and care about her as if she was a close friend of mine.

In the end, I really like Girl Wonder.
The characters were great and made the book was a quick and enjoyable read. This was a great debut by author Alexa Martin and I can't wait to read more by her. 4 out of 5 stars

2 comments

  1. After reading the summary I immediately thought this one sounded a bit too complicated for it to end up being a good read. However, it would seem that ended up being one of the reason you liked it. I am glad the book ended with Charlotte growing and learning too. Great review, Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been on the edge about this one, to be truthful the over never really appealed to me but it sounds like its not so bad. I'll have to remember that!
    Cubicleblindness

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.