Michelle's Review: Learn Something Everyday by Young

learnsomethingeveryday Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Penguin Group

Release Date: May 3, 2011
ISBN:
9780399536663
Series: none
Source of my copy: publisher
Synopsis (from Goodreads--click on cover)
365 days-365 quirky, brightly illustrated, and entertaining facts.
Learn Something Every Day entertains and informs readers with illustrations representing such fun-filled facts as:
• Charlie Chaplin placed third in a Chaplin look-alike contest
• Emerson Moser, Crayola's senior crayon maker, revealed at retirement that he was color-blind
• Elvis Presley received a C grade in music class
• And much, much more!

Michelle's Review:
We don't usually review or feature books that are not young adult or romance but I made an exception with Learn Something Every Day. This book is based on the UK website of design duo Young (Peter Jarvis and Gethin Vaughn), where they post a different fact everyday accompanied by a quirky drawing to go with the day's fact. The book is exactly like the facts posted on the website except in paper form. There's 365 different facts in the book and you can read a fact a day for a year if you choose to but my sisters and I read the whole book in one sitting. It's really quite fun, especially the quirky illustrations which is my favorite part of the book. Though quite useless, the facts are fun as well because I do like my random facts (there's a reason why I follow OMGFacts on twitter). Here's a sampling from the book:
The longest beard on a woman was 14 inches long.
A whale's throat is smaller than a dinner plate.
It takes 0.0004 seconds to retrieve a memory.
Shakespeare was dyslexic.
Surprisingly, there were quite a lot of facts in the book that I already knew before reading it. For example:
The hormone that makes you grow is produced only when you sleep.
Hulk Hogan's real name is Terry.
The acid in your stomach can dissolve steel.
I was expecting more obscure sort of facts so that was a bit of a let down. But the book itself is nicely bound with colorful pages and is as heavy as a trade paperback despite it being half it's size. I'm not the type to purchase this kind of book for myself but I think it'd be a fun gift for someone who likes their random trivia or it could be a great coffee table book. Fans of the Learn Something Every Day website will certainly appreciate it. It is an entertaining book overall--my sisters and I had a good laugh at some of the facts when we read it. Visit the website for a taste of Learn Something Every Day. 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.