Monday, May 23, 2011

flawless ARC: 272 pages
Publisher: Bloomsbury

Release Date: May 10, 2011
ISBN:
9781599905969
Series: none
Source of my copy: publisher
Synopsis (from Goodreads--click on cover)
Sarah Burke is just about perfect. She's got killer blue eyes, gorgeous blond hair, and impeccable grades. There's just one tiny-all right, enormous-flaw: her nose. But even that's not so bad. Sarah's got the best best friend and big goals for print journalism fame.
On the first day of senior year, Rock Conway walks into her journalism class and, well, rocks her world. Problem is, her best friend, Kristen, falls for him too. And when Rock and Kristen stand together, it's like Barbie and Ken come to life. So when Kristen begs Sarah to help her nab Rock, Sarah does the only thing a best friend can do-she agrees. For someone so smart, what was she thinking?
This hip retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac is filled with hilariously misguided matchmaking, sweet romance, and a gentle reminder that we should all embrace our flaws.


Leslie's Review:
I instantly knew from reading the synopsis that Flawless was going to be a great read. And I was right--the plot was interesting and well-paced while the writing was simple, understandable and a great narration of the main character Sarah who, it turns out, I completely related to.

To be honest, I at first thought that Sarah was going to be one of those stuck-up girls who whine over the smallest flaws on their faces. But I was dead wrong about that. Sarah turned out to be a heroine I totally related to--she was intelligent, a loyal friend, studious and an awesome writer who kept herself from doing things that she wants because of her insecurities. Out of my group of friends, I'm the super loyal, obedient one and I also have my share of insecurities that keep me from doing things and going after what I want. Until I read Flawless, I thought I was alone in all of that. But by relating with Sarah and learning the same things she did in the book, I learned a lot about myself.

One of the main aspects of the plot besides true beauty was loyalty--both to ones' self and to others. In the book, Sarah was such a loyal friend to her best friend Kristen that she would do anything for her--even if it meant helping her get with Rock when Sarah had a deep crush on him. Throughout that, I couldn't help but feel sorry for Sarah for having to sacrifice her own happiness for her best friend's happiness. Yet I was also kind of upset with her for doing just that and holding herself back from going after what she wanted, thinking she wouldn't have been able to get it anyways. But that was when I realized that I would've done the exact same thing. Reading all of that and realizing that I would've done just that really got me thinking about how truly being loyal is. And when I couldn't settle on an answer, I continued to read until I reached one. And, along with Sarah, I did--I learned that your happiness is as important as the next person's happiness and everyone deserves a second chance, including yourself. So when I finally reached the end, I was glad that Sarah realized her mistake so she turned her thinking around to fulfill, not only others' happiness, but her happiness as well.

Since I really related to Sarah, this book really changed how I think about myself and others. I love how books can make you reflect on yourself and Flawless did just that since I really related so much with Sarah. It really got me thinking about how I treated myself and others and now that I know better, I hope I'll never forget it. I recommend this to anyone and everyone who is in for an inspirational read and has insecurities about themselves because this book will remind you that you're beautiful in every possible way and you deserve to be happy as much as the next person. 5 out of 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Second review i've read on this book raving about it. Time to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Leslie. I love it when I totally connect with a character. It makes me analyze myself too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks really good! I will have to read it now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie, this is probably not a book I would have picked up, but I loved your review and agree that a book that makes you reflect about yourself is a book I need to pass on to my students. Thanks for turning me on to this book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.