Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Books I Covet: YA Fantasy

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 with
Why Michelle covet these books: I love reading fantasy and books with magic. Both of my picks belong in the fantasy genre this week and there's plenty of magic in both.

First is The Faerie Ring--this debut novel is set in the Victorian Era and the heroine ends up stealing Queen Victoria's ring, which turns out to be an important part of a treaty of peace between humans and faeries. I love the cover of this novel, so dark and has a mysterious feel!

faerieringThe Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton (out September 2011)
Debut novelist Kiki Hamilton takes readers from the gritty slums and glittering ballrooms of Victorian London to the beguiling but menacing Otherworld of the Fey in this spellbinding tale of romance, suspense, and danger.

The year is 1871, and Tiki has been making a home for herself and her family of orphans in a deserted hideaway adjoining Charing Cross Station in central London. Their only means of survival is by picking pockets. One December night, Tiki steals a ring, and sets off a chain of events that could lead to all-out war with the Fey. For the ring belongs to Queen Victoria, and it binds the rulers of England and the realm of Faerie to peace. With the ring missing, a rebel group of faeries hopes to break the treaty with dark magic and blood—Tiki’s blood.

Unbeknownst to Tiki, she is being watched—and protected—by Rieker, a fellow thief who suspects she is involved in the disappearance of the ring. Rieker has secrets of his own, and Tiki is not all that she appears to be. Her very existence haunts Prince Leopold, the Queen’s son, who is driven to know more about the mysterious mark that encircles her wrist.

Prince, pauper, and thief—all must work together to secure the treaty…

For more info about The Faerie Ring, visit the author's blog. Clicking on the cover will take you to the book's Goodreads page.

My other pick this week is The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns #1). How epic is the blurb for this novel? It's about a princess who was born with a mark that meant she's destined for greatness but her people doubt her and she's shipped off to marry a guy much older than her. But she decides to change her life and she might save the kingdom after all. Okay. I suck at summarizing books but read the blurb below. As soon as I read it months, I know I have to read it.

secretThe Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire & Thorns #1) by Rae Carson (out September 2011)
Princess Elisa is a disappointment to her people. Although she bears the Godstone in her navel, a sign that she has been chosen for an act of heroism, they see her as lazy and useless and fat.

On her sixteenth birthday, she is bartered off in royal marriage and shipped away to a kingdom in turmoil, where her much-older and extremely beautiful husband refuses to acknowledge her as his wife. Devastated, Elisa decides to take charge of her fate and learn what it means to bear the Godstone. As an invading army threatens to destroy her new home, and everyone at court maneuvers to take advantage of the young princess, Elisa becomes convinced that, not only is her own life in danger, the whole world needs saving. But how can a young girl who has never ridden horseback, never played the game of politics, and never attained the love of a man save the world? Elisa can't be sure, but she must try to uncover the Godstone's secret history before the enemy steals the destiny nestled in her core.

For more info about The Girl of Fire and Thorns, visit the author's website. Clicking on the cover will take you to the book's Goodreads page.

What book(s) do you "covet" this week?
Please leave a link below so I can stop by your blog too.



"Books I Covet" is a weekly or bi-weekly blog post series I am going to be doing here.
It will feature books I am very excited about reading and plan on buying/borrowing in the near future. It is similar to the "Waiting On" meme hosted by Jill of Breaking the Spine. However, some of the books may already be published and others may still be in pre-order. I will include the books' blurb, cover art, and/or release date if they're available. Click on the WoW image on the left to join in!

13 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to reading both of these books! I love the covers too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these books sound great, and I haven't heard of them yet (so they'll definitely added to my extensive to-read list :) ), but I'm especially intrigued by the first book "The Faerie Ring" because like you...I love fantasy books (& faeries). Also, the setting in the Victorian Era is way awesome & I don't see that often.

    Great picks! :-D

    -Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I want to read The Faerie Ring, but the second one is new to me and sounds fantastic. I'm adding that to my TBR list right away. Great choices!

    Our WOW pick is at BookSake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've see the faerie ring around. It looks great.
    bethfred.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this blog by the way...Added myself as a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of the books sound amazing and the covers are just lovely!

    Thanks for commenting at my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the beautiful covers on these!

    thanks for checking out my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am really excited about The Faery Ring too. It sound amazing. The Girl of Fire and Thorns also has piqued my interest because of its unusual premise

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really good! Thanks for stopping by our WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Girl of Fire and Thorns sounds incredible, I hadn't heard of it before so thanks so much for listing it! Must. Have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, these both look absolutely amazing. Great picks! And you're right about the covers: gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great picks! I'm looking forward to both of those!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited for these reads too! Especially The Faerie Ring =D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.