Tuesday, April 5, 2011

whereshewent Paperback: 264 pages
Publisher: Dutton/Penguin

Release Date: April 5, 2011 (today!)
ISBN:
9780525422945
Source of my copy: publisher
Series: If I Stay #2
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
It's been three years since the devastating accident ... three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.
Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Julliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.
Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.


Michelle's Review: **some spoilers especially for those who did not read If I Stay**
Where She Went is set in New York City, three years after IIS ended and told in Adam's first person point of view. Adam is now a bona fide rock star but he's not happy and don't quite know what to do with himself--he is not getting along with his band members, he has the paparazzi and fans chasing him wherever he goes, he's tabloid fodder and these days music no longer gives him that joy and electricity in his blood like before. Mia and Adam are also no longer together, ever since Mia left for Julliard and never came back. But a chance meeting in New York City brings the two together again and they are given the opportunity to revisit their past as well as figure out if they have a future together.

I was quite happy with the way If I Stay ended--it was a bittersweet yet it had a happy-ever-after feel because Mia decided to stay with Adam--so I was quite surprised when I found out about Where She Went. I thought Ms. Forman couldn't possibly top the awesomeness that is If I Stay but it didn't stop me from wanting to get my hands on WSW and read what happened to Mia and Adam three years later. I had very high expectations and this book did not disappoint. I wouldn't say it was better than IIS but I loved it just as much, if not just a little bit more.

I had my doubts in the beginning about it being in Adam's POV because I didn't quite know what to make of him in IIS. Usually, I fall in love a little bit with the love interest along with the heroine but I didn't feel that way with Adam--he was sweet and everything (and I'm probably the lone wolf in this) but his character just didn't click with me. But as I got to really know Adam, where he came from and got to peer into his thoughts and emotions (as opposed to seeing him through Mia's eyes) first-hand in WSW, I was glad that the story was told in Adam's perspective. His character started out pathetic and sad and a spoiled rock star but you feel for him anyway. Then, as the book goes on I ended up really caring for him and wanted him to have that happily-ever-after with Mia. The romance between Mia and Adam was done seamlessly. These two have a lot of things to work out and the will they/won't they anticipation was there but I was able to enjoy it (I wasn't frustrated and wanting to shake characters like I usually am with this plot device) and just reading about them walk and talk about NYC was like a gift.

Everything I loved about IIS was in WSW--the wonderfully flawed, multi-dimensional characters, the lyrical writing, the music, the flashbacks, the emotional punch--then add the beautiful setting of New York City at night and the very early morning (which I actually did experience years ago)... It was just an amazing experience and it brought me back to that magnificent city. Where She Went is an experience. I LOVED it! I was an emotional wreck after I was done with this book but that ending was beautiful and days later Adam and Mia were still in my mind. It's the perfect sequel and the perfect conclusion to Adam and Mia's story. 5 out of 5 stars

6 comments:

  1. Great review!!! I really, really can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I have not read either of these books but I really hae been wanting to and your review has me even more anxious to get them both. Hopefully when summer break hits I will be able. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. because of the spoiler alert I didn't read your review but scrolled down to the rating...5/5!! Yay! I must buy this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! 5 outta 5! I loved IIS and I've been waiting for the release of WSW for forvever. Me and my friends are gonna buy our own copies this weekend and spending the rest of it digesting Adam...er, I meant the book *Laughs nervously*. I can't wait and I'm reading all the great reviews so my expectations are very high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me and Christina are hosting a Read Along for this book and I was wondering if you or anyone else would be interested? You can find out more about it here:

    http://comacalm.blogspot.com/p/read-along.html

    Sorry to bother you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm trying to pace myself because IF I STAY ruined me, it was that good. I want to save WHERE SHE WENT for when I really need it. :) Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.