Books I Covet: Perfect Summer Reads

Why Michelle covet these books: As some of you may know I LOVE reading romantic contemporary YA with some boy/family/best friend drama of some sort and mixed with lightheartedness and humor. With summer coming up, I am in a look out for some fantastic summer reads. These books are just what I'm looking for:

A rich girl and a stable boy? As soon as I read the blurb I knew I had to get Love Story. And how cool is it that the heroine is a romance novelist? Yay for romance novels!

lovestoryLove Story by Jennifer Echols (out July 2011)
WRITE WHAT YOU KNOW.

Erin Blackwell is headed to college in New York City to study creative writing and earn a living as a romance novelist. Her grandmother has other plans: she approves of the college, but she wants Erin to major in business and then come back home to Kentucky to run the family’s famous racehorse farm. There is no way Erin will agree. Studying in New York and writing her way into a career is her escape from the farm and the family tragedy that happened there. So Erin’s grandmother decides Erin really will live life as a starving artist. She takes Erin’s future job running the farm, her inheritance, even her college tuition, and gives them all to Hunter Allen.

Hunter has lived on the farm for years. He’s Erin’s age, he’s the stable boy, and he’s the romantic dream of every girl in her high school. But he was involved in the family tragedy. Erin has always given him a wide berth. And he’s a slick opportunist. She’s furious that he fooled her grandmother into giving him Erin’s birthright and sending him to Erin’s college.

At least she’s free of him in her creative writing class. So she pens a story that has haunted her lately, in which the horse farm heiress at the very first Kentucky Derby starts a forbidden affair with the lowly stable boy. Unfortunately for her, the day she’s sharing this story with her New York classmates, Hunter walks in. He’s switching to her class. And after reading about himself in Erin’s story, he writes his own sexy assignments that lure Erin into dangerous fantasies about what could have been between them, and what might be.

For more info about Love Story, visit the author's website and Goodreads. Click on the cover to pre-order.


I didn't want to like The Ivy (the first book in the series) but I did despite myself and after that cliffhanger ending I can't wait to see what happens next. This is The Gossip Girl for the (ivy league) college set.

secretSecrets (Ivy #2) by Lauren Kunze & Rina Onur (out June 2011)
Gregory or Clint? Clint or Gregory? Matt, anyone? And what is Lexi up to . . .exactly? When we last saw Callie Andrews, she was caught on the horns of a dilemma. Lexi was threatening to expose all of her safely guarded, deeply buried secrets from high school, and Callie had just hooked up with bad-boy Gregory--despite the fact that she had a perfect (sort of) boyfriend and her BFF Vanessa had claimed (sort of) Gregory as her own. Yow. Entertaining, hilarious, addictive, scandalous, sexy, and smart, The Ivy series is an insider's look at freshman life at Harvard University. This isn't high school anymore!

For more info about Secrets, visit the author's website and Goodreads. Read my review of The Ivy (first book in the series) HERE. Click on the cover to pre-order.


Love the cover of Past Perfect. Though it won't be out in time for summer, I think this a good read in the fall when I am missing the sunny days of summer. And doesn't it sound like a possible reconciliation plot? Maybe? I'm a sucker for those.

pastperfectPast Perfect by Leila Sales (out October 2011)
A summer job is exactly the distraction that Chelsea needs in order to finally get over Ezra, the boy who dumped her on her a** and broke her heart to pieces just a few weeks before. So when Chelsea's best friend, Fiona, signs them up for roles at Essex Historical Colonial Village, Chelsea doesn't protest too hard, even though it means spending the summer surrounded by drama geeks and history nerds. Chelsea will do anything to forget Ezra.

But when Chelsea and Fiona show up for their new jobs, they find out Ezra's working there too. Maybe Chelsea should have known better than to think a historical reenactment village could help her escape her past. ...or will this turn out to be exactly the summer that Chelsea needed, after all?

For more info about Past Perfect, visit the author's website and Goodreads. Click on the cover to pre-order.



"Books I Covet" is a weekly or bi-weekly blog post series I am going to be doing here.
It will feature books I am very excited about reading and plan on buying/borrowing in the near future. It is similar to the "Waiting On" meme hosted by Jill of Breaking the Spine. However, some of the books may already be published and others may still be in pre-order. I will include the books' blurb, cover art, and/or release date if they're available. Click on the WoW image on the left to join in!

10 comments

  1. OK, let me start by saying that I usually don't like contempts, I don't even read the summaries but Love Story by Jennifer Echols sounds fantastic! I am actually going to add this to my TBR list! I don't know Michelle, you may have converted the unconvertable....
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a big YA reader, but I've heard so many great things about Jennifer Echols. I might have to give that one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice choices!

    My WWW and Wow: http://yalitwit.blogspot.com/2011/04/www-and-waiting-on-wednesday-april-27th.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading light romantic contemporaries ^_^. Sarah Dessen books are my favourite. Great picks! Both Love Story and Past Perfect are already on my TBR :)

    Thanks also for commenting on my blog.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Secrets for sure looks interesting. Thank you for posting this, feedback of any kind is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm more of a Paranormal lover, but these books seem perfect for those days when I feel like I've had enough of it. Love Story by Jennifer Echols sounds really good actually - adding it to my TBR list! Thanks!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot wait to read Love Story, it sounds so amazing! I love Jennifer Echols! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the theme - perfect summer reads. It's finally getting nice in Kansas and I'm starting to think about lounging on a blanket in the park with a book. These are all perfect books to ad to my summer read list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay!! I can't wait for Love Story! (Great minds definitely think alike!) Past Perfect and Secrets sound really great as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.