Michelle's Review: Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

demonglass ARC: 359 pages
Publisher: Hyperion Books

Release Date: March 1, 2011
ISBN:
978-1423121312
Source of my copy: publisher
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.
That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.
Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.
But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?


Michelle's Review: **spoilers for those who haven't read Hex Hall**
In Hex Hall, the first book in the series, Sophie got in trouble for using her witchy powers and was sent to Hecate Hall (aka Hex Hall), a boarding school for delinquent Prodigium (witches, shapeshifters and fairies). There, she meets Jenna, a vampire, who will become her best friend, cute boy Archer, a warlock, a coven of not-so-nice witches, among others. At the end of Hex Hall, Sophie found out that she wasn't a witch but a demon and so was her absent father. Demonglass picks up a few months after the end of Hex Hall. Fearing that she was a demon bomb waiting to explode and hurt the people she cares for, Sophie has decided to go to London with her father and go through the Removal, an operation that will strip her of all her powers. But once there, Sophie makes a new discovery that she and her father are not the only demons after all. Someone is raising other demons in order to control their powers and use them as weapons. Sophie also comes face-to-face with her old crush Archer, who is a member of The Eye (hunters bent on destroying all of Prodigium), and both have to deal with their unresolved feelings.

I am officially addicted to the series and I was so happy to be able to read books 1 and 2 right after the other. I love the wry humor, the wit in the dialogue, the action-filled scenes, the fantastic main character in Sophie, the quirky secondary characters and the world the author has created. Demonglass was an excellent follow-up to Hex Hall and cemented my obsession with the series--I am now counting the days until the third book comes out and berating myself for not picking it up sooner.

Many of the secondary characters from the first book are back in Demonglass, along with new ones. The thing is that the characters lack complexity but I don't mind because the author doesn't try to be serious--it's more like a tongue-in-cheek kind of story. The author makes use of great comedic timing and paranormal clich├ęs and turns into something extremely readable. Sophie is as funny, self-deprecating in her narration in this book as ever and I love her for her humor, bravery, intelligence as well as her flaws. It was great getting to know her father along with Sophie. They both took to each other well enough without all the drama and daddy issues I expected the first time Sophie met her father in person, which was kind of nice in a way because the story focused more on the mystery of the demon teens and Archer and the growing war with The Eye. Sophie is trying to get better control of her powers with the help of her dad. She did some growing both magically and character-wise. A love triangle between Archer, Sophie and Cal (who turns out to be Sophie's betrothed) was introduced and while I'm not into love triangles, it was fun here (Team Archer FTW!).

The author takes us a little deeper into the world of the Prodigium and there was more magic as well, which sometimes it put me in the mind of Harry Potter. I am very excited to see where the author takes us in the third book setting-wise. There was never a dull moment in Demonglass--there was always something going on in every page. The action doesn't let up until the last page, which was a cliff-hanger. Even though it ended abruptly it's not one of those "I feel cheated" types in my opinion... but still... what a way to end the book! Now, I gotta wait a year for the next one.

If you're looking for a paranormal series to get into, look no further than Hex Hall and Demonglass. Both books are unputdownable and as much as I loved Hex Hall, Demonglass might just be even better in terms of the writing. Pick up this series even if you're not really into paranormal, trust me, you won't regret it! 4.75 out of 5 stars

4 comments

  1. Great review! I totally looking forward to read this one after Hex Hall. Hope it will be good as I dont really into the 1st.=(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This love triangle seems more...natural in a way and I really liked :) I'm stuck between being a team Archer and Cal because they are so different! Great review, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to totally skim through this - I loved Hex Hall & I'm really looking forward to Demonglass - but I don't want to know anything about it yet! Can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic review Melissa, I really love this series too. Like you I love Hawkins humor and I was really glad to see Archer ending up a good guy. I am also very much a fan of Cal and am having a hard time deciding who I like best.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.