Thursday, March 10, 2011

redridinghood Paperback: 329 pages
Publisher: Little Brown

Release Date: January 6, 2011
ISBN:
9780316176040
Source of my copy: publisher
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Valerie's sister was beautiful, kind, and sweet. Now she is dead. Henry, the handsome son of the blacksmith, tries to console Valerie, but her wild heart beats fast for another: the outcast woodcutter, Peter, who offers Valerie another life far from home.
After her sister's violent death, Valerie's world begins to spiral out of control. For generations, the Wolf has been kept at bay with a monthly sacrifice. But now no one is safe. When an expert Wolf hunter arrives, the villagers learn that the creature lives among them--it could be anyone in town.
It soon becomes clear that Valerie is the only one who can hear the voice of the creature. The Wolf says she must surrender herself before the blood moon wanes...or everyone she loves will die.


Leslie's Review:
After Valerie's beloved sister was murdered by the Wolf that has been haunting her village Valerie's world fell apart. Her village was in a worried frenzy with everyone afraid that they will be next to die. Seeking help the villagers called for an expert Wolf hunter comes to Valerie's village to catch and kill it. The hunter told them that the Wolf might be one of them but Valerie soon discovers she can understand the Wolf and must face a decision--surrender herself to the Wolf or loose everyone she loves.

There was a love triangle between the heroine Valerie, her ex-fiance Henry and her childhood friend Peter. To be honest, I wasn't sure which guy to root for because both had their up sides and down sides to me. For example, Henry was caring and gentlemanly but he wasn't a strong hero while Peter was clever and strong but he liked to live dangerously and was one of those bad boy types I'm not particularly fond of. The only thing that I liked about both heroes was that they both really cared for and loved Valerie in their own sweet, protective way.

Red Riding Hood is based on a screenplay of the same name written by Catherine Hardwicke. I saw the trailer of the movie before reading this book so I had pretty high expectations as the trailer is awesome with beautiful visuals. I expected the book to be the same--thrilling, exciting, and fast-paced. Well, it turned out the book was just okay. I enjoyed it but it wasn't as action-filled and the plot was well-paced but there wasn't that rush I felt when watching the trailer. I don't know if I'm making sense but I did really like the writing overall. I liked the suspense, emotion and the imagery the author evoked in her writing. Also, I thought the characters of this book were all well-developed and each were interesting in their own way.

Just FYI, the book doesn't reveal who the werewolf was. There's a final chapter that will be up on the Red Riding Hood website once the movie is release in theaters. If I bought the book and didn't know about this I probably would be a little upset but since I knew I didn't mind much--I actually have a pretty good idea who the wolf is. Hopefully the publisher will reprint once the movie is out with the final chapter included in the book. I am looking forward to watching the movie now that I've read the book.

For the most part, even though not as fast-paced as the movie trailer make it seem, I thought this book was an enjoyable, easy read with great characters. 4 out of 5 stars

Here's the trailer:

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for review- I've been thinking about this, esp since I might see the movie.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that would bother me if I read the whole book and didn't know that we didn't figure the mystery out by the end. I think I might just see the movie of this one instead of reading the screen play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a pretty awesome trailer. Though I would be suspicious of a book that was based on a screen play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant move keeping the identity a secret. I love it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.