Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Book I Covet: The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 with
Why I covet this book: This one is (according to the blurb) "part fairy tale and part love story" with witches and magic. It sounds so deliciously dark and I love how the fairytale retelling/paranormal mix.

The girl's face on the cover is really creepy looking but I like the gauzy curtain and the patterns on it. It's not often you see white covers on paranormal novels.


flawlessThe Near Witch by Victoria Schwab (out August 2011)
The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children.

If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company.

And there are no strangers in the town of Near.

These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life.

But when an actual stranger—a boy who seems to fade like smoke—appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true.

The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion. Still, he insists on helping Lexi search for them. Something tells her she can trust him.

As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi’s need to know—about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy.

Part fairy tale, part love story, Victoria Schwab’s debut novel is entirely original yet achingly familiar: a song you heard long ago, a whisper carried by the wind, and a dream you won’t soon forget.


For more info about the The Near Witch, visit the author's website and Goodreads. Add it to your wish list!



"Books I Covet" is a weekly or bi-weekly blog post series I am going to be doing here.
It will feature books I am very excited about reading and plan on buying/borrowing in the near future. It is similar to the "Waiting On" meme hosted by Jill of Breaking the Spine. However, some of the books may already be published and others may still be in pre-order. I will include the books' blurb, cover art, and/or release date if they're available. Click on the WoW image on the left to join in!

11 comments:

  1. Fairytale, love story with witches. I'm there!!!

    Our WOW pick is at BookSake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pick, this book looks like a really great debut.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good, and the cover is great!

    Here's mine:
    http://www.memyshelfandi.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday_08.html

    Amber @Me, My Shelf and I

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for this one as well! I almost chose it as my WOW, but decided to do it next week. Fantastic choice!!

    Here is my pick, if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this one a lot on WOW this week. But I haven't seen a lot of witch stories around lately. It's about time though!! Great pick.
    Waiting on Wednesday

    Happy Reading! & New Follower
    <3 Patricia @ Patricia's Particularity

    P.S. I'm having a giveaway for the entire ENTIRE Vampire Diaries Series, including the one coming out this month. Hope you can stop by and check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh I really want to read this, too! Looks great, and the cover is so very rad! =)
    Thanks for the comment! I will add you ladies to my 'blogs I follow' list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd never heard of this one. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. The cover is so pretty too! :)

    Jenny @ Into The Morning Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds fascinating! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I've been anticipating this one for what feels like such a long time now! Can't wait for when it finally releases :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hiya! Nice choice for your WoW. This is my first week doing this and if you'd like to see my choice, hop on over to my blog...

    http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/

    I just started following your blog too and it would be super awesome if you took the time to stop by mine and do the same! Thanks! (^_^)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.